1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is suspension really a neutral act

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by custardapple, Mar 7, 2018.

1. custardapple

custardapple New commenter

I have been suspended from school and am presently awaiting a hearing.
    Whilst I have been told that "suspension is considered to be a neutral act, not a formal sanction, and does not imply guilt"
    it is very difficult for me to see how I could ever go back to the same school even if the panel rules in my favour.
    I have had no contact from colleagues either professionally or socially as I was told not to approach staff, parents or pupils.
    I have not received any news regarding the school either so am not aware of staff illnesses, staff leaving etc.
    This has been a very painful period for me and I am very thankful for the support of my gp and immediate family.
    This leaves me wondering if suspension really is a neutral act and whether innocent until proven guilty really exists anymore??
    It is really concerning when Balance of probabilities can trump evidence

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Suspension is only a neutral act because the disciplinary policy will state that ....."suspension is a neutral act". Considering that the school will continue to pay you during the suspension (and lessons need covering) then it's easy to read as biased but it would be difficult to show bias if it came to it. Also if the school suspects a safeguarding issue and even future ones then it is duty bound to suspend you whilst investigating.
    I'm not the legal expert that @GLsghost and @Rott Weiler are but balance of probabilities is what's left when there is no evidence. You will get the chance to present this resounding evidence as the school can't take any action against you without an investigation.

Hey, you're paid and have nothing to do but watch day-time tv. Catch up on your sleep and box-sets.

Sorry too much waffling, should just have said "Union"