1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Supply in demand?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Moony, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

*pokes the worm can with a stick*

In reality it will depend on your age group, subject (to an extent) and where in the UK you are moving to.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No, no no!
    Would not recommend leaving a permanent UPS2 + TLR. Nigh impossible to find other jobs at that level of pay and supply is dead already or dying in most areas.
    Can't you relocate somewhere halfway between the two and commute or even commute on a weekly basis coming home at weekends until you've found a new post?

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I wouldn't advise giving up a full time post and counting upon getting regular supply work.
    The picture varies across the country with some areas faring better then others but in general the demand for supply has decreased (to almost non existant in many areas). Even if you are lucky enough to pick up some work via an agency you will not get paid at your current level on the payscale. Daily rate for agencies varies between £75 to £115 and some agencies only offer cover supervisor work at a lower rate again (not sure what that is).
    Supply Teaching is in dire straits at the moment.

4. ...I would seriously reconsider.
    ...you WONT be paid suitably at all and at best starting, if you are lucky, on M1...thats a max of £110 per day.
    ...supply system is all broken and I suggest reading some of the other threads to get a fell for the current mood

5. As you have good reason to relocate then look for a full time job in the area you are going to. If you for example have been working full time in a secondary school well to be honest one would expect you would have worked out for yourself how much demand for supply teaching there is.
    If you have not left your job yet, have a chat to a supply teacher in your school (if you can find one)
    I am being a bit unhelpful however I get a bit miffed with my perm teacher colleagues who have not a clue how things are on supply these days. Unless of course they may need to do a bit themselves.
    Get searchng for a good post in a school in your new area if you have to jack in your present one!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Wow - big decisions. Selling a house, moving 60 miles and renting. Plus giving up a very well paid job. I hope your husband is going to be doing ok because supply is difficult. I would personally do the commute and look for a new post. Do not give it up.

7. I would say NO to giving up a post at the moment. Supply work is not readily available in most areas due to TA's covering classes. I have had to take a temporary contract at my old school as I had no work for months...I'm too expensive for most schools who want cheaper, less experienced supply teachers. Fortunately my hubby has a secure job but I still need to work part time.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Please take care over this decision to relocate for your husband's new job.
    Looking at worst case scenario, you could be giving up a well paid, secure job and your husband's new job may turn out to be as insecure as his last one!
    If you bothe ended up unemployed, with your houser sold and the equity in the bank, you would not even be able to claim Income Based JSA and have your rent paid on Housing benefit as you would probably have savings over the allowable amount. You would be expected to live on those savings until you had just a few thousand left, at which point the State would start supporting you.
    I'd advise staying in your post, with your husband commuting 60 miles and if his job looks like being a secure one that he likes (so not looking around for another one), sell up and rent (as someone else suggested) mid-way between your two workplaces. A 30 mile commute is nothing these days.
    Then, if get another job nearer his, re-locate again (easier if renting).
    <h1>Supply work is dire and if you're not able to get LA supply, you will get probably half the pay for your usual paypoint. You won't get anywhere near 195 days of work per year, so no chance of earning even your UPS salary. I'm on M6 and have gone from getting about 160 days of supply work 3 years ago to about 20 to 30 days per year in the last 2 years</h1>

9. Keep your job at all costs and commute because it will be virtually impossible to find a perm job and supply is dire.

10. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. DO NOT SELL THE HOUSE. STOP RIGHT THERE!!!! This is a bad bad bad idea (I am assuming you own a load of it and have a repayment mortgage.

If commuting is such an issue, get a £300 Peugoet 205 Diesel and run it on heating oil. Perhaps he would consider getting "digs" for 4 nights a week. Real basic stuff.

Your whole post is pretty much life suicide IMO.

11. Not worth selling a house. Don't do it. There are ALWAYS solutions.

12. Lara mfl 05

So AmelieS, there you pretty well have it.
    Most of the replies are from people like myself who have been on long-term supply (often experienced and therefore expensive) and seen the supply scene dip ever worse.
    <u>PLEASE take note of the advice</u>. Look into the possiblities of renting/ commuting whatever, short term.
    Once you've done that and start looking at potential posts in the new area and see just how stiff competition is (sometimes applications are in the 200-300 mark for some posts!), you'll begin to see why we advising you so strongly against such action as you proposed in your openiunf post.
    If you want to relocate, you may have to consider taking on SMT or similar, to make yourself more attractive to potential employers. Why should they pay UPS, when there are literally hundreds of unemployed cheaper candidates all chasing the 'normal class teacher' posts?

13. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

Why cant they claim unemployment benefits ?.Thousands of other people do who have never paid anything into the system.They must have paid a heap load of tax & NI if on ups 2.

14. Lara mfl 05

If you read the OP they <u>have</u> a job at UPS and are considering giving it up for supply!

15. It's truly baffling how some people can be so OUT OF TOUCH!And smug!
    Just go to the "Supply forums" and read all the comments, postings etc etc........most are completely NEGATIVE, SOME EVEN SUICIDAL...agencies, schools bullying, threatening and intimidating highly qualified, fully registered teachers to accept jobs as CSs!
    Utterly unacceptable! Give up your UPS2 plus TLR2 and become unemployed!!!!!!!!!!!! ...is the reality!

16. Is this a "**** take"? WHAT AIR HAVE YOU BEEN BREATHING?
    Pedigree, historygrump, ninasimone, quietgenius, stuart dann, wassernixe, ukred et al have been posting for ages about how supply teachers have been suffering and you come on as if you don't know the actual dire situation????? UNBELIEVABLE

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If she gives up the job to move to another area with her husband's work, she will only be able to claim JSA Contributory (based on past NI record) for a maximum of 26 weeks at (currently) &pound;67-50 per week.
    She won't be able to claim the higher JSA Benefits that you read aboiut int he paper beacsuse she has a working partner and his income will cancel out means-tested JSA.
    Also, if they sell the house, the equity released will probably mean that their savings take them out of Income Based Benefits and they would (even if the husband was made redundant again) be required to live off their savings until they were poor enough to qualify for State Benefits.
    My gut instinct would be to sit tight on the teaching job and the house, especially with house prices so depressed in many areas. Why is 60 miles too far for the husband to commute in a new job? When supply work was plentiful I used to travel up to 50 miles to unknown destinations after a phonecall booking me at 7.30 in the morning.
    Imagine resigning a UPS/TLR job and selling your home and then finding that your partner hasn't settled in their new job or neither of you like where you've moved to! He should 'road-test' his job forst and they should both research the property in the new area (and the region in between current home and new area).

18. Is she that ignorant of the dire supply teacher unemployment?
    Thta's the actual QUESTION!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Funny how people ask a serious question and never come back.

20. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

If they both give up their jobs why cant they get benefits?.They will have paid into tax system isnt it time for them to get something back? You must see the news for the last few years many are getting heaps in benefits & have paid in NOTHING .How does our system work? Confused!!