1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Is student finance and student loans avaliable to everyone?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Teacher_Jen, Dec 9, 2011.

  1. Exactly as the subject title states.
    Are these loans avaliable to everyone as it was for undergrad study?
    I fortunatley enough, already have a place on a SCITT course for next year and obviously with the high tuition fees, I would like to know whether or not loans will be made accessible to everybody.
    I am living with my parents and probably still will be next year. My household income is above £35,000.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know I won't be able to work at all next year for an income.
     
  2. sparkleshine

    sparkleshine New commenter

    Well done on getting a place! In answer to your question - yes, for full-time initial teacher training you are treated like an undergraduate student and are entitled to tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and any supplementary grants as applicable. I can't comment on whether you'll receive it as you have to satisfy the standard personal eligibility for student support.
    If you're under 25 (whether living at home or not) your application will be based on your parent's household income. Everyone gets the non means-tested 65% of the maintenance loan, and the remaining 35% is means tested. The threshold for means tested support tapers off at £50,778 so you should still get some of it, including possibly some non-repayable maintenance grant as a proportion of it, depending on income level.

    Hope that helps!

     

Share This Page