1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is strike action over teacher pay and funding a step closer?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 21, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘Teacher strike action to secure better funding for schools and the full implementation of the teachers' pay award has been given 82 per cent support in a union indicative ballot.

The poll by the NEU teaching union, which surveyed 82,487 teachers in England, found that 99 per cent believed Government funding cuts were having a negative impact in their schools.

However a turnout of just 31.4 per cent of members means the backing for a strike from four in five of respondents will not necessarily be enough to cross the threshold needed in a full ballot.’

What are your views about the level of support for strike action and the turnout? What would you like the next steps to be?

https://www.tes.com/news/teacher-pay-and-funding-strike-wins-82-support

2. rosepetal12

rosepetal12 New commenter

Am I right in thinking that according to the government's anti-union law passed in 2016, for a strike to be a valid, 50% of the membership of the union must participate and also that the strike action must be approved by 40% of the total membership? (I think the law was passed to make sure that they would not be any more strikes from either teachers or transport workers in London..)

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's my understanding too.

4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Secondary striking? Possible, I suppose.
    Primary? Never.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

To answer the question it's closer but still doesn't mean it will happen. Even if the threshold mentioned by @MadHatter1985 is reached then there's still the second decision.
    "Do I personally strike on the given day(s)?" and even worse "Will the government and MATs be that bothered by the strike and so will it be worth it?"

As supply, not even in NEU I'd come out in support but it would be more in the spirit of the band playing whilst the Titanic sinks rather than thinking I was doing anything useful.

And the worst possible outcome is a full-blooded attempt to strike but no effective action being taken which means no chance of any future negotiations. Will the NEU risk this?

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

a strike might well get voted for in the current climate, but we would never stand together even then, some staff would go in saying the usual, "we can't let the children down" or similar. More like we can't stop providing free babysitting, or buying resources to cover up for Osborne's transfer of the cash to his mates.

JohnJCazorla and Fleecyblanket like this.