1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is SLT allowed to keep popping in to our lessons and assessing our teaching?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Nov 23, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I agree. If the head/SLT simply pop their head in your lesson, ask how it's going, ask if there are any problems and then disappear again, that's fine. But if they come in observe for 20 minutes (which is what Ofsted do) and then give you a grading, THAT'S an observation. There's a difference between checking things out in a supportive way ("I noticed that Johnny was outside your room today, what can we do to support with him and his behaviour?") and using the 20 minute observation as a stick to beat staff with (keeping staff on tenter hooks for weeks, insisting on full lesson plans throughout, assessing against Ofsted criteria in addition to performance management).
    A learning walk is an unobtrusive walk around the school watching what's going on but not intervening or making one's presence felt in an 'observing' fashion.

2. I think it comes down to school context-a supportive Head and it's no issue-a bullying head and the line can be crossed into harassment and making staff feel very uncomfortable. In earlier times I worked for a Head in a smallish primary who made a point of helping out in every class at least once a week-got to know the pupils and staff very well informally and the children benefitted from the extra hand in the classroom. That was great. I've also worked for a couple of years for a bullying head, and entrance into any classroom brought an instant frost, even in summer.