1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is shouting necessary to settle down a class/make them quiet?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by scienceteacher11, May 8, 2011.

1. If you shout at them they very quickly find your 'buttons to press' and know how to make you become stressed out. I often have low volume music in the class - often charts music (but I do choose tracks carefully to avoid language issues and make up my own CDs). Most of the students want to listen to the music and will tell their peers to be quiet - much more effective than you telling them!

2. Please give that up now; it stresses you AND the students (and the teacher in the classroom next door) out. If I have a difficult group I tend to use something like a printed wordfind (one side of the page, and another focusing activity on the other side) so that when they come into class it is on their desk and they start straight off - sets the tone before anything else happens. Another suggestion is (can't remember the name of it) give them a big word that is on topic and see how many words they can make from it - good for literacy as well as settling them down.

3. When this happens to me, I sit down at my desk and just look at the pupils. I don't shout or say anything. This confuses them because they expect the teacher to shout at them for making so much noise and they become quiet. I then thank them and remind them that they should settle down much quicker when coming into the room. This works for me, pupils don't expect the teacher to ignore their noise and just sit quietly at his/her desk and they follow suit and become quiet.

4. I am a supply teacher which is even more difficult to get the children to respond well. I use different ways of getting them to be quiet for the register. If they are young I play a silence game asking them to read my lips when I call their names. That usually works well and they enjoy it. If they are older, I usually use their class rewarding system -for them it's important that they get as many housepoints or teampoints as possible. Sometimes, with some older children nothing works. There are one or two that constantly need to be reminded to be quiet but if you get the mojority of the class on your side it becomes easier to get through.

5. I stand straight and still and look around at the class - lingering on certain individuals. I don't say anything, just look with a mildly inquisitive expression on my face but not smiling. The message soon gets spread, one by one they calm down. It doesn't usually take long.
    Another method which I pinched from a colleague who went on a Primary Teaching course when she was thinking of swapping from Secondary, is to stand and raise your right arm straight up into the air. Again, don't say anything, just do it. Many Primary schools use this method of control so the pupils know what it means and they have to copy you, i.e. stand still and quite and raise their hand into the air. This is particularly useful with large numbers and outside where you wouldn't have a chance of being heard even if you did have a voice to shout with.
    In my school, all the students know their register number and we take a register by them calling out their number. I know that this sounds regimented and impersonal but it's quick and during a fire drill it is incredibly efficient!
    Good luck - I've had classes like your - we all have - and they're incredibly wearing! Soon be Summer!

6. Another idea - I write 1 (minute) on the board every time they are too noisy and tell them this is the amount of time they will spend at break or lunchtime in my classroom. However, they can win back minutes by working quietly. Once they realise how quickly the minutes are going up, they work hard to earn back their minutes by the end of the lesson!
    Another method that works for me as I'm in a computer room with a projector - I write in red letters 'QUIET PLEASE' as large as possible to project onto the whiteboard! I tell them this is what is going to happen outside the classroom before the lesson. Works well.
    Good luck!

7. I use clapping strategies! Really does work. Clap out a sequence and explain to pupils when they hear a clapping sequence they have to reply and copy sequence exactly. Then often repeat saying they were'nt quick enough or as accurate, hence challenge to be better.
    Once they understand, it works , but then you also need a reward for when they all get it right!! SIMPLE

8. Hi guys,
    Thank you for some fantastic suggestions. Working as Supply, some classes are a nightmare to say the least. As soon as they see that it's Supply, they wreak havoc... Anyway, I was
    reading this thread this morning, and then got called to a school this afternoon and I used some of your ideas and was amazed. I went in one class - year 7 - little terrors - The school has a merit system going and if kids are misbehaving, they can be de-meritted. Even though I don't have access to their system, I leave a note for the teacher to request if particular kids can be de-meritted or if merits can be put on for the most well-behaved kids (those who have quietly got on with the task). I gave warnings first, then got up and put two columns on the board, De-merit and merit. As soon as I wrote one kid's name on, the class was quiet. There were some who carried on after and so I added names, I also added names on the merit column and said I would take names off that if I had to which I followed through and it worked great for me. The best bit was there was one madam who was an attention seeker and constantly distracting others but as soon as they realized that names were going on board, they soon started ignoring her and soon, she got bored of trying to distract ......[​IMG] yes!!! mission accomplished!!!!

9. Well Bestmate, If you have done supply, you will have realized that a) every school is very different, b) the support you get as supply from the school is very different. In some schools, you are just ignored by both pupils and staff, in others, you are well supported by staff and therefore kids cannot have the attitude 'you are only supply so I don't have to do as you say'. I actually assess the school first coz it's not worth wasting my breath only to be made to look like a fool in front of the kids. I think those who have done supply will understand what I mean. Believe me I have no problems with confidence or common sense, as far as I am concerned, as long as safety is not compromised and kids do most of the task, I don't mind. In fact, I only started at this particular school last week and one kid was way out of line with his attitude - rude, refused to follow instructions, walked in and out as he pleased, etc. I reported him and requested that he got consequences - my point of contact at the school informed all the relevant people at the school and he was dealt with immediately, next time I saw him, he was great...... I am always looking at strategies for behaviour management because I may come across something that i have not thought of. I don't think behaviour management is 'common sense' as you say, it is a skill and as an NQT I intend to master that skill...

10. my mistake for making the assumption that supply staff are already finished their NQT year. perhaps due to the financial situation you have no choice but to do supply, but it's not ideal way to start a teaching career. Best of luck finding a more longterm work placement.