1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is she kidding?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hhhh, Dec 13, 2010.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Talking with new mum who said there was one to one midwife care at her hospital. She looked amazed when I said the norm at my hospital is one mw to 3 women. Anyone else experienced this, thought you only got one to one if you very lucky (or rich, or famous etc!)

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Talking with new mum who said there was one to one midwife care at her hospital. She looked amazed when I said the norm at my hospital is one mw to 3 women. Anyone else experienced this, thought you only got one to one if you very lucky (or rich, or famous etc!)

3. I had 1-to-1 MW care at birth centre, which is part of the local hospital.

4. I had 1 to 1 care when I was in active labour- my midwife was there the whole time and monitored baby every 15 minutes. She also stayed three hours after the end of her shift as I was just about to start pushing and she wanted to deliver the baby as she had been with me the whole time. At the very end I had two midwives, the main one and one to support with the baby. I thought this was how it happened? Or was I just very lucky?

5. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

Same as Rubyblue for me

6. I had 1:1 too and was lucky enough to also have a fantastic student midwife who never left my side, until i told her to go and get a coffee! So lucky- hope I'm as lucky again!

7. one to one for entire labour. started off at home though (was meant to be a water birth, but complications so ended up on labour ward.) MW stayed with me throughout though.she even did my stitches (ouch), it was her first time on a real human!!

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Ok, very different in my area! Interesting as all the other mums/friends of my I asked thought that the woman who said she'd one to one NHS mw care was very unusual!

9. I had my community MW that had looked after me all through my pregnancy. He came to the hospital after I had been there a couple of hours and delivered my baby and did all the aftercare. We were really lucky. I think it's very hit and miss depending on where you are.

10. I was induced and had a long labour (about 18 hours) so my midwife didn't stay in the room for the whole time. I don't know if she was seeing to anyone else, or just giving me and my husband time alone. I didn't need her in there the whole time anyway, I would have felt like I was wasting her time as everything took that long! She kept popping back and checking on me, then when I needed to go on a drip to get things moving, she stayed with me. When my son got stuck, she got another midwife, then another. By the time my boy came into the world I had 3 midwives, a student midwife, a doctor and the consultant in with me!

11. When I first arrived we were on our own for most of it - a midwife would check on us every 30 mins but we could have called her if we needed anything. After a while we had some complications and the midwife stayed with me the whole time.... she was fantastic, I remember her rubbing my back and holding my hand. At one point there were 16 other people in the room including an extra midwife. .... until the tricky bits...I didn't really need 1:1 through most of it.... though ended up in a c-section but would have needed 1:1 for most of the pushing and the delivery.

12. 1:1 for me, too. And there were easily more midwives than new mothers on the ward in the few days after I was there, too.

13. mermaid

mermaid New commenter

I had an emergency admission to the labour ward (after planning the birth center). I had a midwife with me 1:1 for 20hrs or so (changed with shift pattern) when actually for some of that time I would have like it just to be my husband and I. I really can't complain though, they were awesome.
    Ended up with serious complications and without the attention of two MWs, an Obstetrician and a full surgical team DS wouldn't have made it. I'm so glad they were paying such meticulous attention.

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Really? On the postnatal ward, there were 2 midwives to 64 patients, ie 30 mothers and 34 babies (2 lots of twins!)
    I find this differnce amazing.
    Admittedly I was at a hospotal in an area with a very transient population, they have a lot of 'unexpected' births, ie mums not have prenatal care in the area, but even so...
    Should move to where you all live. Again told mum friends in my area what you have said, am goiung to mention the more mw than mums on thepostnatal ward to all my friend who gave nirth whre I did!

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I had the same midwife with me the whole time, although I only got to hospital 1.5 hours before giving birth, and I wasn't checked immediately.
    We were kept in for 3 nights (they put my son on antibiotics) and they did seem fairly busy, but there was always someone to help when you needed it. There were only 4 beds to a ward.

16. Wow, that is a big hospital, HHH. Certainly not enough space for that many at our hospital. I would say that our maternity care was excellent and can not fault the help we were given.

17. I managed to get my own room as well, for the 3 nights I stayed....lucky me! But the wards had 4 beds on them. It was an oddly quiet day when I was in!

18. i had a homebirth and had minimum of 1-1 care throughout my labour. at the start and end i had 3 midwives and the hour after the start and the 2 hours before the baby's delivery i had 2. for the middle hour was the only time i only had 1 midwife!