1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is September usually a quiet month for supply teachers? When does the work pick up?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by is2, Sep 17, 2015.

1. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

I am a supply teacher doing secondary school working and living in Northern Ireland. I returned to Northern Ireland from teaching abroad last year, and began supply teaching in November 2014 last ( I did not have the opportunity to do supply in September and October last year as I had only just arrived home, therefore I do not know the ' lay of the land' completely yet as it were), From November last year until the beginning of June this year I was absolutely inundated with work everyday practically which was great. However I got nothing in June ( which I expected it being the end of term). I have received absolutely no work this month (September 2015), not even a single day, in spite of having circulated my CV again around various schools as I did last year with abundant success. Is it normal for September to be very quiet work wise for supply teachers? Does it pick up again in October? If not when? I am just asking as in future I will need to plan ahead more I feel if September and October may be quiet months for everyone. I could be wrong however. Please respond. Many thanks

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

It depaends greatly on your region, how schools cover absences in your area and what agencies you use but generally supply is quiet for September, It generally starts picking up from about now onwards with almost full weeks from October onwards.

What are the term times in NI because in England and Wales the end of term is not until the end of July? Supply work might reduce slightly as year 11 leave but that is often compensated by increased sick leave as teachers stress levels have increased to breaking point by then. You should be picking up work in June and if not might want to consider looking for another agency.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Les25paul, it is my understanding agencies are almost unheard of in Northern Ireland as there is a central register of supply teachers who are paid to scale and are in the Teachers Pension Scheme. is2 get in touch with INTO as they have all the info. on supply teaching in the province. It has taken ages to drive the agencies out of NI, don't use them.

In answer to your question, yes, September and the run up to October half term are often eerily quiet.

This is the problem with being a casual worker.

4. Wondering whether work is normally plentiful in the NI for those who choose to do day to day or long term supply teaching and the education system is at least a touch better in terms of behaviour and work load etc.

5. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

I agree that September can be quiet. Last year I had work right from the word go and worked everyday, except maybe for 4 days only, in the entire academic year. This year, work has now only just started to come in - 4 days this week and three days so far for next week. I always plan and make sure I have enough for my bills right to the end of September. The great thing though is, once it kicks off in the second or third week, it never stops. Good luck everyone!