1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is science important?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sfm_81, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi all,.

In our school we teach a "topic" curriculum int he afternoons, made up of almost all the foundation subjects. I am concerned though because I really don't think science is represented fairly and it's such an important subject. We have been doing Ancient Egyptians this term, the science has been forces, basically an investigation on friction (thinking about how the Egyptians would have carried those blocks around to build the pyramids),

But in our topic plan there is literally 1 week for this, so about 2.5/3 hours. I have to introduce and explain friction, do a starter experiment, then the children do an experiment using newton metres. But thtey literally have no baseline knowledge of friction at all for this. I've seen other plans this week where schools have 1 hour lessons once per week on science and so after 4/5 weeks the children have a sound knowledge of friction and other forces. Theyre then able to use and apply their scientific knowledge at a higher level and create and test more reasoned hypothesis.

Is this acceptable that we have a 1 week stab at friction, in randomness, and then go back to talking about the pharaohs? I'd much rather teach science for an hour a week and really get into the subject, the kids absolutely love it and they are deprived of it, not fair, what do you think??

2. We do 2 hours of Science a week and still base it on QCA units. Our Creative Curriculum tends to be based around Geography, History, Art and DT. Other subjects such as RE and Science are taught separately.

3. We do 2 hours a week as well. If "topic" fits in with the science it's a bonus. If it doesn't we teach is outside of the topic. You can't force every single subject matter into the topic - sometimes you have to be flexible.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We do 2 hours a week in KS2 and 1.5 hours in KS1. And we more or less follow QCA units as well.

5. Thanks for the responses. I am quite upset that lots of schools seem to be doing it for 1 or 2 hours per week and there's us shoving it all into small random experiments. Not fair on the children IMO as they love science and go crazy when I have the equipment in the room from the cupboard :(

6. I'd love to see the timetable of someone doing 2 hours of Science a week. we aim for a lesson a week, but really struggle to fit everything into the timetable. Would love to see how other people manage it.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Our afternoons are two hours long. Each week we do -

2 hrs Science
    2 hrs Topic
    2 hrs PE
    1 hr Music
    1 hr ICT
    1 hr art
    30 mins French
    30 mins PSHE

We block DT to one week a term. The timetable can always be moved around if needed.

8. We have just been inspected on our science teaching and curriculum - inspector was really pushing Sc1 and experimentation - he liked the creative curriculum but was concerned that science was becomming a poor relation - He kept refering to schools he had inspected recently where that was the case
    We move the curriculum around to allow the kids to blocks of science and add in full science weeks - that seems to help - the kids can complete a full project with meaningful SC1 and allows the work to be less fragmented for everyone

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not a hope of me being able to paste our timetable here but it would go something like:

Maths 5 hours
    English 5 hours
    PE 2 hours
    Science 2 hours
    History or Geography 2 hours (Alternate termly)
    ICT 1 hour
    PSHCE 1 hour
    Music 1 hour
    Art or DT 1 hour, plus any extra time available (alternate termly)
    French 1/2 hour
    RE 1/2 hour
    So a total of 21 hours a week. Rest is filled with assemblies and the like.