1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Saturday the best day?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Feb 13, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes of course it is!
    We get a newspaper delivered on a Saturday as a treat - although I've usually read the interesting bits online before it actually arrives on the mat. Then it's a discussion about what to have for tea for a treat and lists to be drawn up . Up to the shops in the car for a quick zip round Sainsbury's with a bit of a diversion into Waitrose if necessary for a treat then it's a latte in the coffee shop for a treat. Home for putting away and soup for lunch with a bread roll for a treat. Afternoon varies but can include a treat then it's home for cooking with the favourite glass of wine of the week for a treat. Enjoy a nice meal and fall asleep infront of the tele.
    Long may it last! It won't last for ever I know which makes it worth writing about.

colpee, smoothnewt and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Please don't take this the wrong way but if doing your shopping makes a day good and your treats are coffee and and bread roll, the rest of the week must be truly horrendous.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ah, you've entirely missed the point FI.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ouch... thread takes a turn straight away...

Personally I like Saturdays, Sundays always have the return to work hanging over them.

cuteinpuce and lindenlea like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The day of the week makes little difference to me now. Every day is different.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I like Mondays - much easier to park in town, do the shopping, visit places etc. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays aren't bad either.

Except half-term week and school holidays, of course!

Mangleworzle, foxtail3 and lindenlea like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Somehow, there's still something about a Saturday, even though I don't teach any more. Sundays don't have the 'Sunday blues' either.

I think you've missed the point too @Flere-Imsaho. It's about taking pleasure in the small things whilst you're still able to, living in the moment and being content with what you have. The big experiences, the big gestures don't happen that often and it's important to appreciate the everyday- in my opinion, anyway.

Alf58, lindenlea, lardylady and 3 others like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Sorry. I hate supermarkets. It probably coloured my response.

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

This colour most closely resembles supermarkets for me.

[​IMG]

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I like Saturdays too. I've only got to teach one lesson in the morning then I usually go into town with my daughter for 'girls day', which involves sniffing everything in the bodyshop, turning our hands into a lipstick pallette, getting a coffee in Costa (hot chocolate for her) and a waffle, then to the market to buy lunch from one of the food stalls and a brownie for afters. Then we come home and eat our lunch with the boys, then it's chill out time until I the evening when I usually go down the pub with some mates.
    That said, she's dumped me today for the chance to go to McDonalds with nanny :( So I'm going to go to Tesco in a minute, stock up on all my favourite goodies, then hole myself up in my office and try to write some of this stupid essay. Pub still on in the evening though, so all is not lost :)

Saturday is a day full of fun and promise and anticipation. Sunday is when I crash back down to the reality of being a working mum and do the washing, all with a raging hangover and jaegerbomb flashbacks.

So yeah, Saturdays rock. :)

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

In that case the best day could be Tuesday or any other day of the week. Actually I think Saturday is the worst day because there are so many people about. I can't stick supermarkets any day but they are all clogged up on Saturday. I have a newspaper every day and I am going to have a treat every day next week!

InkyP and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Seven treats on a Saturday, lindenlea! :)
    I've just had a treat: proper coffee and a warm croissant whilst watching Mary Berry on Saturday Kitchen. I shall do that chicken dish tomorrow.
    Now that I'm living up to my moniker, I can spread my treats over the week.
    Unfortunately, I shall have to venture out to a supermarket, today. Bad planning.

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well, I think that's partly what I'm trying to say @Lascarina. It could be any day of the week, but just taking some pleasure in something mundane is what counts.

I guess I'm trying to do that even more just now and not feel that things are boring because the circumstances of a friend mean that she isn't able, at the moment, to do many of the things you'd tske for granted, such as going for a drive, walking into town, shopping etc.

lindenlea and smoothnewt like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I love supermarkets!

I love how cold they are...

I love the groups of 4 or 5 people who need to shop together...

I love the long queues at understaffed counters....

I love the special offers bit where a big crowd gathers blocking the way...

I love the funny smell that makes me sneeze in the air freshner section and now has me having a slight headache...

I love the understaff checkouts because they've put in automated machines...

I love them hawking **** for whatever sentimental load of tosh has been deemed the next 'event day'... Valentines, Easter etc...

I love the DVD section full of films I've never heard of filmed in Eastern Europe from actors who I thought were dead... Oh Clive Owen is still working?...

I love the vouchers they give you which mean you have to return, when they could just give you money off, but what'd be the point of that....

I love the cheerful checkout lady [genuine one this one] who just seems too happy for that time in the morning...

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It really is about taking pleasure in things which could so easily pass for mundane; I really get where LL is coming from.
    Having been under the weather for over two weeks now, even a trip into town is a major effort. In order to steel myself for it this morning, I slobbed about a bit on the sofa, watching UK Border Force on some obscure satellite channel whilst gathering my strength. It made me so grateful for my lot, watching poor unfortunates trying desperately to gain entry to the UK, failing, and being sent back to their hopeless lives elsewhere. We are very fortunate to have the luxury of being bored in such comfort, with a roof over our heads, food and warmth. I guess the least we can do is actively appreciate the small things in life.

16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I always take pleasure in the small things. I walk to work through a park and seeing the ducks on the pond or feeling the crisp air just makes me glad to be alive.

lindenlea and InkyP like this.
  17. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

For me Friday, especially Friday evening, is the best part of the week. It is full of possibilities, which usually translate into falling asleep in front of the TV, but the potential is there!

marlin, lindenlea and lanokia like this.
  18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Once I am retired I will avoid saturdays. It annoys the hell out of me tripping over doddery old folks with one tin of soup in their trolleys on a saturday when everywhere is heaving. I shall leave saturdays to the workers, who like when I was one of them, have no choice. I have said for years the supermarkets should offer discounts for OAPs but only a times when its quiet during the week. I don't want to create any furore or antagonism, it just seems so logical to do things when its quieter in retirement.

Alf58 likes this.
  19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Luckily I was in one of my more tolerant moods whilst in Iceland the other Saturday afternoon. There was a pensioner in a mobility scooter behind me, and I made the mistake of asking her if she wanted to go ahead of me, as she only appeared to have a six-pack of kitchen roll on her lap. She accepted the offer, but once ahead of me it transpired she had a bag-load of stuff at the rear of her vehicle, which I helped place on the conveyor belt. I then helped her pack, but unfortunately I didn't do this to her liking, so was harangued a bit until I had got it right. I can't convey to you how long this all took, but the queue behind us was starting to snake around the shop.

Organising payment for her goods took another five minutes, at which point the boy on the checkout warned me to stand back: "She's going to reverse." It's just as well he warned me, as she shot back violently in her scooter and I'd have been knocked flying if he hadn't. She then swept out of the store.
    "Thanks for warning me." I said to the cashier. "She's a regular." he said. I did wonder how many unsuspecting customers she'd taken out behind her at the checkout before now.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I always said I would avoid supermarket shopping on Saturdays when I retired but the reality is I go when I need to which sometimes turns out to be Saturday. For example, I'm having Sunday dinner with my daughter's family tomorrow and I'm taking a pudding. It was a spontaneous invitation so I'll have to shop today. I do try to avoid it though.