1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Resources Part of Community?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Sep 28, 2015.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Is the Resources section considered to be part of Community? It doesn't appear to have it's own forum.

If so, I have a question about the TES Recommended icon with the tick - is that a new thing? A number of my resources have reviews from the TES Resource Team saying that they are recommended, but only one of them actually has the logo.

I'm also quite intrigued by the psychology of reviewing - e.g. my second-most popular resource has only one review, whereas several less popular ones have multiple reviews; does anyone discuss that sort of thing?

TES_Tina likes this.
  2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @JaquesJaquesLiverot

Thank you for your post.

I have passed it on to my colleagues in the Resources Team and one of them will be in touch with you to answer your questions.

3. TinaMade

TinaMade New commenter

Hello @JaquesJaquesLiverot

Thank you for your query.

The TES Resources team have always sought to review and recommend high quality content, although this has only recently been presented with the TES tick graphic. I am a bit concerned that only one of your recommended resources shows the logo, this may be a technical glitch. As it is a new tool we have experienced a few bugs, which the tech team are working on.

We too are also interested in the psychology of reviewing. We are aware that people find reviews valuable and useful. We also know that we could and need to do more to encourage reviews, so if you have any suggestions that you haven't already communicated to us please email us authors@tes.com

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

@TES_Tina

Thanks for the reply. Here is a couple of examples if it would help with your investigation...

Tick: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/computing-curriculum-concept-map-11012806
    No tick: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/interactive-searching-algorithms-6394366

The other thing that the Maths teacher in me is curious about is the number of stars awarded to average ratings. The display is only whole or half stars, which is fair enough, but a score of 4.3 gets four stars, when 4.3 is closer to 4.5 than it is to 4.0, whereas 4.7 gets five stars when it's closer to 4.5. It looks like there might be something strange going on with the rounding!

5. TinaMade

TinaMade New commenter

@JaquesJaquesLiverot Thanks for providing the examples. The reason why the tick does not appear on the example you've provided is because the TES review was given last year, when we didn't have the graphic in place. Any review you receive now from TES should display the tick icon - please let me know if this is not the case.

As for the star ratings it is calculated on the whole number, so it is either rounded up or down to the nearest whole. Where some resources have received half stars that has been calculated on the average of total reviews.

I hope that's clear - I think that's all the maths I can handle this morning.

:)

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Hmm... I think that, in my days in software Quality Assurance, I'd have sent that back to the programmers as a bug, because each type of symbol isn't equally likely to appear.

7. TinaMade

TinaMade New commenter

8. JaquesJaquesLiverot

@TES_Tina Thanks. I've also noticed that the way stars appear is not consistent across pages.

Below is a screen shot of one of my resources, with five stars on the resource page itself, and (inset) four-and-a-half stars in my Shop.

[​IMG]