1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is promotion worth it?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tawilliams2, Jan 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tawilliams2

tawilliams2 New commenter

Hi everyone, just a quick question which will hopefully bring me some personal clarity. Is becoming a head of department after being a successful and happy full time teacher really worth it? Discuss....

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

That depends on many things, not least on whether it’s something you actually want to do or not...

steely1 and sbkrobson like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How will you feel if you don't try? And in five years time - how will you feel then. Are you content to see other people, who you possibly don't rate as teachers or managers, move on in their careers to manage you? Are you content with your income as a class teacher? What about your partner, if you have one - do they have an opinion about your work and income? Do you want to maximise your pension? Do you see yourself as someone with a job or a career - only you can say.
    The pros and cons are all fairly clear I think.

oHelzo and Pomza like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Worth it"
    No. Absolutely not.
    A disproportionate increase in workload compared to the difference in salary.
    "Doable"
    Yes. Obviously
    "The right thing"
    It is not a necessary progression from where you are now. But it is often the right thing to do for a careerist teacher.

One major difference between HoD and your current role is that you must lead the adults in your department into good working relationships, and you must have a good working relationship with each of them yourself. As a class teacher you can find many days are almost devoid of adult interaction and far more "in your hands". Are you up for that change?

Edit-afterthought FWIW it makes a big difference being HoD of a core subject. More pressure, greater workload. Miles more imposed accountability for that which you cannot control.

Piranha likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The difference in pay is a lot smaller than happens in many other jobs, and probably does not compensate for the extra work and stress as mentioned by @sbkrobson. If have ambitions to move into SMT, it is a way forward. Or you might believe that you can make a positive difference to colleagues and students. For what it is worth, I was happy to stay as a humble 2nd in department, where the extra workload was not that much and I didn't have ultimate responsibility. I did wonder about what I should do if my HoD left, as I worried about how an outside appointment would affect the happy and successful department he had built. Fortunately, it didn't happen before I retired.

Another way of looking at it - do you want to risk going from being a "happy and successful" teacher to an unhappy HoD?

steely1 and border_walker like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on the person and the school.
    For many people it is most definitely worth it.
    For others, not at all.

Pomza likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

No. Not financially.

Find another job on top instead; start a little business on the side; earn more by doing less. You are happy and that is very rare in teaching these days.

8. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

It depends on your subject. If your subject is not a core one, you may find it difficult to find a sideways move job if you're more experienced (and expensive) without offering to take responsibilities. In a bigger dept or core subject an experienced classroom teacher who isn't looking for responsibility can be a real bonus.
    I loved being a HoD, but actually had to take a pay cut to do it when relocating so financially it wasn't worth it. It was worth it for my career and I enjoyed feeling I was in a position to make a difference.
    It depends on what you want to do, but if you're happy doing what you're doing in your current school then there's no pressure.

9. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

All depends what you want from your career- do you want to progress and ultimately do you want to earn a higher salary? You will have a heavier workload, that’s for sure and you will line manager members of staff in your department- is this something you have experience in? ie. managing people?
    You have also got to consider the work life balance aspect of the situation, do you have family commitments? Being a teacher is not a standard 8:30-3:30 job as you will know; you end up working late into the evening and you find that you have little time for home life, the same (if not worse) if you’re a middle leader or senior leader- I guess, managing your time effectively is the main point to consider but your workload will definitely increase and it’s whether or not you want this.