1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is private tutoring enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by balanced, Apr 17, 2011.

1. How much job satisfaction do you get from private tutoring. I am thinking of taking on this role but really want to enjoy my work. What is your experience?
    Thanks

2. How much job satisfaction do you get from private tutoring. I am thinking of taking on this role but really want to enjoy my work. What is your experience?
    Thanks

3. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

I have been doing private tuition here in Barbados since I retired in 2007 at 65 years old. I do some one-to-one tuition but more regularly have up to four students in a group, mixed age-range, infants to adults. For the group sessions, my fees per student are much lower, of course.

However, I do this because I find it extremely enjoyable rather than the money. Challenging yes, time-consuming yes, but I do little else in my retirement apart from watch films on the TV, surf the Internet like this and play chess on the computer. In fact, I go so far as to say that if I had my time again, after one or two years in a school classroom, I would be out as an entrepreneur, doing private tuition full-time, and perhaps even setting up my own agency. It is generally accepted that working as an employee in any sphere will never earn us a fortune, which also must be seen to be extremely pleasurable.

Enjoyment comes from success, surely? Naturally now I limit my endeavours to those few students who accept what I have to offer, rather than trying to meet the needs of all-comers. As I understand it, entrepreneurship requires identifying the market before going ahead. It also demands hard work and enthusiasm!

I did experience job satisfaction in my classroom teaching, by working in private schools for a total of 22 years. I toyed then with the idea of starting my own school, but the work was OK so I never pursued that.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Yes it is enjoyable! I've been doing tutoring for 2 years and love the interaction with students and talking to the parents. You can also see real progress.
    Downside - I do miss having a whole class and not being part of a team at school.

5. Thanks for such a positive, informative reply!

6. Hi
    I've been tutoring for a couple of years now and I love it. I struggled as a teacher in schools but I find that I am a pretty decent tutor. Families are happy with work and children normally do well in their exams or get into the school they want.
    I've been advertising a lot online and been getting a pretty steady stream of work. If you've got any questions at all, feel free to ask.
    I'm starting up my own website soon if you'd be interested in registering on it.