1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is phonics the new stick for advisers to beat EY teachers with?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Or are the EY teachers masochists who actually enjoy it.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Having a hard time with your phonics SOAPy?

3. I actually really like teaching phonics. Every class I've had in Reception have enjoyed learning phonics too.

4. I rather think that there may be a great many EY advisors around who don't know enough about phonics to beat anyone with it. After all, one of their 'professional organisations' is a bit anti...And as it is only about 4 years since they were all using a completely different stick, called Searchlights, I wonder if they've really had time to change their spots?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think there are more Y1 teachers feeling under pressure at the moment than EY teachers.

6. If you look at the training guide for inspectors much of it teaches them how to do phonics! Including the difference between graphemes and diagraphs. It really is basic. We had an inspector in who went on and on about phonics and nursery are doing it full on. We are now having to spend more money on the new phonics stuff in dfe book, the match funding stuff. Really what we need is our TAs who do not have a lot of training going on courses. My reception class are doing well and enjoy it but seem to miss out alot on KUW - targets targets targets.