1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is PGCE recognised in Canada?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by vicj1_17, Feb 23, 2018.

1. vicj1_17

vicj1_17 New commenter

At the present I am studying for a degree in Primary and Outdoor Education. I am thinking of gaining a PGCE on completion of my course.

Having worked and lived in Canada for 14 months. My plan is to move to Canada, does anyone know if a PGCE is recognised in Canada? Any advice would welcome?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If your degree has QTS you will not need a PGCE. Best to contract the Canadian House help line for advice.

vicj1_17 likes this.
  3. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Recognised yes, but sufficient to be able to teach? Probably not, not in British Columbia anyway. But as Feb31 says, if your first degree gives you QTS a PGCE won't be necessary. However, in BC you will probably be required to take additional uni courses including Canadian history, Canadian geography and, if required, Human Kinetics, English comprehension, English literacy, a first year science course and perhaps a social studies course. In BC you need five years of uni before they'll let you in a classroom.

https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/

JL48, vicj1_17 and ejclibrarian like this.
  4. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I have lived and taught in Canada and have Canadian Citizenship, my son was born in Vancouver. It is an absolute bureaucratic nightmare to register in any province. You need a minimum BEd. PGCE is no good. If you want to teach in BC you also need six university credits in French or English. There are no teaching jobs at all and I am Maths/Chemistry and IB trained. Education is highly unionised. Schools do not decide who they employ and everything is done on seniority. If you move from one school district to another all seniority is lost. To give you an idea of the glut of teachers. I have often done tutoring to supplement money. In UK I can get £30/hour no probs. In Australia I was getting $80/hour. In Vancouver, to tutor Advanced Placement, the going rate is $18.hour.

One other thing. I have lived in the UK, Canada and Australia. IN UK and Australia I met wonderful, really friendly nice people with something to say for themselves and a great sense of humour. Seven years in Canada and I never met one. I would poke needles in my eyes than ever go back there. Hope I have not put you off.

vicj1_17 likes this.
  5. Helen-Back

Vancouver is a tough place to make a living. I was lucky enough to get a subbing job with the Vancouver School Board, but it would have taken five years to get a full time position. That was 2011. I'm now on my third international school. We'll probably spend retirement on Vancouver Island, but we'll never work there again.

vicj1_17 likes this.
  6. swsimp160

You have to love month after month of rain to live there. Get a bad winter and it is, for me anyway, unbearable and I am Scottish. I was permanent with the VSB but Canadians are a very acquired taste. As my Hungarian friend said 'they have learnt to smile and confused it with friendship'. As a Brit they have no sense of humour, don't do sarcasm and all of them think they are wonderful at everything. Never again.

7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Wow... Not often you see Canadian bashing! As a Canuk myself I'm sad to hear people find my homeland (and its people) so awful.

JL48 and DocShew like this.
  8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

All this Canuk bashing is a bit unfair - just look at who they have to live next to.....!

I know that when I did my PGDE in Scotland, there were lots of Canadian teachers on the primary course who then returned to Canada to find work.

vicj1_17 likes this.
  9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I have worked with a tonne of Canadians over the years, as they are the largest group of teachers out there on the intetnational circuit, as its so difficult for them to get a job back in Canada. And i have to say i have had the complete opposite experience of them than @swsimp160 . They have always been warm, friendly people with a great sense of humour.

DocShew, vicj1_17 and ejclibrarian like this.
  10. Helen-Back

I think what you mean is, Canadians don't indulge in 'banter'. I would agree with this. Banter is an important part of British/Irish culture, but doesn't really exist in Canada (on the west coast anyway). I struggled with this when I moved to BC too. I guess I got over it eventually, although I still watch iPlayer if I need a laugh.

11. swsimp160

Thanks for telling me, after seven years in Canada, Canadian citizenship and a son born there, what I think I mean.

12. swsimp160

returning to Canada to get work as a teacher is like going to Holland to climb the mountains

Helen-Back likes this.
  13. swsimp160

14. swsimp160

I can only talk from my experiences and, yes, people might have completely different experience. My last stay in Canada was Vancouver from 2015 to 2017. It is the most divided city I have ever been in. The down town east side was always bad but you will not see anything like it in any other first world country. I used to take my son to school in English Bay and he did't understand, being brought up in Brisbane, why hundreds of people were sleeping in door ways all down Granville street and Davie. Cross the road in down town and the crossings are like little shanty towns where beggars set up camp. Often seen, not just down town east side, people in streets shooting up. Impossible to register with a doctor, Schools have been cut to the bone as have social programs. All in a city that has been bought by China and where a two bed apartment can cost $3 000 000 easy. There is a lovely local pass time I witnessed a few times when, after a traffic dispute, one participant will spit on the other while the rich drive around in $5 00 000 cars. I found it the most greed driven place I have ever been in.

15. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

No country is perfect. I would never claim Canada is. It has problems just like many other places. Vancouver has a desperately serious problem with homelessness and drug addiction. It's a sad state of affairs. I'm sorry that this has been your only experience of Canada. It does not represent our country as a whole.

16. Helen-Back

No offense meant. We have a lot in common. I was nine years, Canadian citizenship, one daughter and a Canadian wife. I did not enjoy myself in Vancouver at all. It was a tough time. My appreciation for Canada grew after spending time on the island, but not enough to want to live there, except maybe in retirement.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  17. swsimp160

That is s right the rest is a liberal paradise, or so most Canadians believe. Apart from large parts of Alberta, which has more in common with the American south, and one teacher told me 'the problem with London is the mixing of the races'. Then there are the rural areas where drink driving is a national pass time and the idea of culture is 'Denny's', Toronto, who even Canadians talk about as being just another American city. Then the widely held belief that 'the world needs more Canada's' yet you have the lowest foreign aid budget of any western country and pay less for defence than any other western country. Did I mention the highest murder rate of any western country after America? Great place.

18. seansmith7

seansmith7 New commenter

First off, fascinating reading non-Canadians' views of Canada. I am a Vancouverite who left 20 years ago. The winters were rainy and depressing, the city was rather boring, the people proud to announce themselves as part of a "world class city". Yet, the place is oddly parochial as there are no nearby cities to provide a sense of perspective. Calgary is a 10 hour drive away, Seattle closer but with the border to cross. So their self-aggrandizing views are abetted by mass media in general, and the Vancouver media specifically, telling them how amazing the city is. And yes, the British are wittier.

As for teaching, the unions (I'm not anti-union!) heavily influence who is "qualified" to teach there. Even though I have 8 years of IB experience, in BC that means nothing. The regulations are if I moved back to Vancouver I would make the same salary as a 1st year teacher. I mean, teaching in a public school in Vancouver is the only experience that matters, right? So, I will never go back.

And yes, the hundreds of millions of dollars of Chinese money flowing into Vancouver real estate (I'm not racist!) is transforming the city for the worse. With Canadians in their 20s and 30s can't afford down payments on homes - even Doctors. Salaries are not as high as cities with similar real estate prices like Hong Kong, London, or Singapore. The creative class can't afford rents and are leaving. It's quite sad.

But now to seemingly contradict myself, take a trip to Vancouver in July or August. The weather is fantastic and the city is in a beautiful natural setting. You won't regret it.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  19. Helen-Back

Oh, I remember this statement being made over and over again. It really is/was a big joke and smacked of insecurity and a lack of cultural direction.

20. mhawkes1992

mhawkes1992 New commenter

does anyone have any advice at all on how to go about finding a teaching job in Vancouver? I'm an NQT and would really like to move there for a year or two. thanks