1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is our obsession with chasing grades detrimental to the enjoyment of learning?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 19, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Teachers don't chase grades Eureka [and it's a number now]. The grades were made important by government imposed league tables. Headteachers then found themselves being measured on them. We have a thread talking about a standard of 60% [I assume that'll be adjusted to reflect the new number system]. The Headteachers then demand of their Middle Managers who demand of their teaching staff.

The 'win' or the 'game' as you so tritely put it, is something that destroys education, destroys teachers careers and destroys any chance of children actually enjoying school and instead being put through a systematic series of hoop jumping exercises to fulfill exam board expectations while in desperate cases [read Majority] teachers will actively cheat on controlled assessment just to survive, no longer to even thrive.

How anyone can find a sporting analogy in that is beyond me.

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The pupils are engaged in a win or lose game - I'm sure it's very conveninent for you to ignore that.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you aren't listening... as usual. Must be nice, having 'opinions' without evidence to support them.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But go on, tell me about how it's all like football... and then be oh so surprised when I don't take you seriously.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I can think of nothing more detrimental to the enjoyment of learning - for the student - than making it into a win or lose situation - which is effectively what GCSEs are.

I sympathise with teachers in that their job is being made miserable, but I think they should acknowledge that students are also made miserable by the fact that their learning has been framed within this win/lose context. Teachers tend to be in denial about this. They support the notion of students being winners or losers.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@Eureka!

For what it's worth sorry for being a bit snarky last night. No idea if you follow my posts but if you did you'd know that grades/results and data are causing me some personal angst at the moment.

I do think you are in error though in labeling teachers as the source of pupil 'misery'. The State, the bureaucracy, the education establishment that has been fostered and nurtured since Thatcher, that is the cause [IMO] of the woes in Education.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'd say it's downright insulting.

Middlemarch likes this.
  8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I am being misquoted. Grades are the source of pupil misery. Most teachers support grades.

9. Vince_Ulam

You are not being misquoted. This is what you said:

You're arguing that teachers make children miserable simply by turning up and doing a job which you haven't go the moxie to do yourself. It's insulting.

Students are responsible for their own grades, not teachers.

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Goose and gander mate. After all, there is an element of teacher ability and effort that goes into a grade.

11. Vince_Ulam

In the sense that there's an element of bus driver ability and effort that goes into a bus journey but if you don't get on the bus then you aren't going to get to your preferred destination.

If you aren't happy with your educational outcomes then don't blame teachers. You should have worked harder. If you were miserable in school, not our fault.

12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It is the fault of the existence of grades. Something which you refuse to consider.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Are there any nations - developed or otherwise - which don't use exam/test grades?

14. Vince_Ulam

If you were miserable in school because of grades then you should have worked harder to get better grades, because they aren't going anywhere. As they aren't going anywhere your only option is to go back to school and get better grades, improve your life and stop blaming other people for any misery you feel.

15. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I guess, MM, that they are used in different ways. But their ubiquity does not mean they are essential.

The more you make education about kids winning and losing, the more effort there will be in focusing on not losing. Like I say, losing nobly is not really an option - certainly not one that can be easily defended.

16. drek

drek Lead commenter

Eureka in your utopian system, would you need people to run the schools? How would you pay them or is it supposed to be run by 'volunteers'?
    Or is it a Lord of the Flies situation where students teach themselves, write their own suitability for academic posts, and soon start forming 'gangs' to defend their own little leafy places of learning, employment opportunities, or territories? Oh oh sounds a bit familiar.
    Or Where role playing soon takes on the hard edge of survival?
    A la estates where adult supervision is minimal thanks to personal circumstances, be it drugs or lack of employment opportunities and skills, and or a lack of boundaries when it comes to decent social behaviour?

lanokia and Vince_Ulam like this.
  17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

What a naff post Drek! Equivalent to Godwin's law perhaps....