1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is opening the pubs on a Saturday a good idea?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:38 PM.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I am full of worry as I might even go myself under pressure from friends and family. Dear that a second spike will be the result and fear that people just won’t behave and will embrace etc and do daft things. Better to have started on a Monday. Just my thought. Gradual ease into it. I suppose you don’t have to go! Anyone else going?

ajrowing likes this.
  2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Don't go, dear red. Buy a six pack and stick by the telly!

Pomza, ms honey, agathamorse and 4 others like this.
  3. red_observer

Haha!! Not a great one drinking at home though.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If I was in Wales I wouldn't go out the door. But I am in Northern Ireland and next Tuesday (@josienig) I will be angling in Toomans and having a pint in Fox's establishment.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. red_observer

Pubs not opening in Wales racs. Don’t get your point!
    I assume pubs opening there next week then?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We are leading the way.

agathamorse and red_observer like this.
  7. red_observer

Wish I was there. You could buy the first pint!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

A good idea? Lol, no.

Obviously.

I love a beer in the pub, but I won't be going in my local for a long time yet.

Pomza, Dragonlady30 and red_observer like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It would be a pleasure.

red_observer likes this.
  10. red_observer

Interesting. Because? Feel a bit nervous? Even sitting outside?

11. red_observer

Similarly!

racroesus likes this.
  12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

There are so many people not working that it wouldn't make much difference. Every day is like a weekend, hence the scenes on Bournemouth beach on a weekday.

To answer your question, no I won't be going. It appears you will now need an app to order a drink and since I don't have a smartphone I now seem to excluded from going to the [pub.

agathamorse, WB and ajrowing like this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Go to our local this weekend? Are you mad? We live in a little village with a tiny pub. Queue up. give all my details 2m separation? I'd rather stay at home.

14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I would imagine quite a few people won't go but they will be outbalanced by London protesters and Liverpool supporters, among others.

Pomza and WB like this.
  15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's far from safe currently.

red_observer likes this.
  16. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

"Stay alert" and having a few pints down the pub seem contradictory to me.

Perhaps a a new slogan is called for? "Here we go" could work. Go to the pub, go and fly on Holiday, go and get ill, go and forget the last couple of months, go and put other people at risk, go to Hospital...

17. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

It is interesting that amongst all of my gang who go out very regularly - pub/club etc the consensus is that we will all remain well away from the pubs for quite some time, particularly this weekend

Boris and Dom have effectively given every idiot (male and female) in Engerland* free rein to do *** they like on Saturday.

Sadly far too many will - I just hope Mr. Darwin enforces his rules strictly

*except in Leicester

18. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

A good idea? yes, of course, if the aim is to let it spread and let people die.

If the aim was to leep people safe, the pubs wouldn't be opening.

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

To be honest, I suspect I can socially distance more effectively outside in a pub beer garden than I could inside Tesco on my (now) comparatively rare shopping visits.

My local will only be allowing customers into the garden area and not inside the pub other than to visit the lavatory (for which permission and a 'pass' will be needed), waiter/waitress service only and booking needed.

Seems to be as safe as can be arranged.

That said, the weather for Saturday isn't looking so good (showers and a fresh breeze) and in any event I shall be visiting my sister.

bombaysapphire and Yoda- like this.
  20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If the opening was planned for Monday people would be trashing pubs on Sunday.

Next Friday night the pubs will be smashed up and landlords threatened if they don't open. People will urinate and defecate in pub gardens.

Better to get some drugs and stay home.