1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Ofsted a load of codswallop?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by TheBigPickle, Nov 5, 2018.

1. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

Discuss.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Is the Pope a Catholic?

JohnJCazorla and TheBigPickle like this.
  3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

My one-word answer:

Yes

4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

My longer answer:

At an old school, a teacher on long-term supply also moonlighted as an Ofsted inspector, in the days of week-long inspections. He would take a week off and fulfill his Ofsted role as an inspector for Geography.

Guess what?

He couldn't control his own classes.

5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

It does not make any difference what anyone thinks of Ofsted. They have the power to make or break your school regardless of any argument to the contrary. Any LA maintained school given an RI or SM by Ofsted is destined to become part of a MAT. Even a new build given an RI will be avoided like the plague by parents that want their kids to get on and go to uni. Simples ?

6. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

Does Ofsted have a lasting impact? Schools dip in and out of R.I all the time. Are they any better for the experience? So, so many schools now are graded as 'Good' but I am sure we have all worked and visited Good schools, which remind more of zoos than actual schools. What about those Outstanding schools? What have they actually done to deserve that label? Have they helped improve the teaching and learning of all the schools in their community because I wholeheartedly think that these schools have a duty to share their good practice.

welshwales likes this.
  7. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Yes of course! OFSTED is just a racket to make a load of retired heads and deputies a load of extra cash! Look at the evidence standards in education have dropped massively since they have been in operation.

TheBigPickle likes this.
  8. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Parents look at the DFE performance tables before any OFSTED fiction. Of course data can be misleading but not to the extent of the average OFSTED report.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"Even a new build given an RI will be avoided like the plague by parents that want their kids to get on and go to uni."

Our local secondary (along with several others in the area) was given RI. Parents at the primary were worried about this. Then the primary was given RI, to most people's surprise. As one parent said "If that's what RI looks like, I'm no longer as worried about the secondary."

TheBigPickle likes this.