1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is OCR as easy as it looks?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by greenkirkle, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I have only ever taught Edexcel at GCSE and considering moving to OCR but would really value the advice of others that have expereince in OCR or even both.

2. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Ha ha, you don't even know what you're getting into by asking this!
    Scroll down throuh the forum, you should find 3-4 threads that answer your question.

3. OK, so I shall be sticking with Edexcel then - better the devil you know!
    Thanks

4. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

NOOOO! Don't do it!

5. Just to put an alternative point of view... i don't know anything about Edexcel but I love OCR. It is not easy but I enjoy teaching it and the pupil grades are improving as we get to grips with the new spec and exam. There is alot of scope for choosing religion and topics- though that may be the same for Edexcel as well?

6. If you are looking for a short-course qualification for say compulsory GCSE RS, then I'd probably stick with Edexcel. However, if you are wanting to encourage A-level entry, the you should consider OCR.

7. san38

san38 New commenter

Sorry , disagree. OCR may currently be a better preparation for A level but gaining grades way below predictions at GCSE may put them off RS for life.

8. Do RE teachers get joy from propagating supernatural fiction to impressionable young minds?
    The subject should be got rid of.

9. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

sergei,
    as you seem to have a problem with RE and hint that you are a person of logic and evidence can you give any evidence that RE propagates fiction? I teach pupils that we are exploring "beliefs" with an open mind and welcome their questions and critical appraisal of these beliefs and stories.
    I think you are merely displaying your ignorance of what RE actually is.