1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is NQT needed if I have a few years international Teaching Experience?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Gerry321, Mar 7, 2012.

1. I am seriously contemplating teaching overseas, starting this August. I will be an NQT.

I want to teach at international schools and am not worried about getting NQT as I don't see myself teaching in the UK.

If I do a few years on the international circuit will good international schools want to know if I had done my NQT year? Or will it be a case of 'you have plenty of international experience...'

Just want to know if not doing the NQT will come back and bite me in the ass in the future if I go abroad right away.

Thanks.

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We wouldn't be bothered, if your interview and your references made it obvious that you'd done a few years' excellent work elsewhere.
    No risk to us, except that some weasel might creep in here or the ISR and squeak that we appoint unqualified staff. This we would of course disdainfully ignore.
    Your posteriors would remain unperforated unless you ever for any reason wanted to go back to the UK and work in a State School. Assuming the current regulations were still in force, you might be put to some inconvenience.
    And don't laugh off the idea - just this year, two colleagues are leaving us principally because of a syndrome younger people are vulnerable to, known as 'Lerv', which is notorious both in Life and in Literature for bouncing the best-planned careers off the track.

3. e'xcept that some weasel might creep in here or the ISR and squeak that we appoint unqualified staff'

Although I would be qualified of course as PGCE and QTS are what you need to teach in private schools. As far as I know most international schools are private. I would still be a qualified teacher, just not done NQT for working in the UK.

To be honest I don't plan on working in the UK in the future. I came back to do the PGCE with the objective of starting a career in International schools. I taught abroad in S.Korea and Thailand and knew for me to become the best I can be, I would have to get trained in the latest educational methodologies.

4. As you are considering, so I did. After finishing that blasted year of wasted time - I learned how to teach in other roles - I fled for the wide blue yonder before doing my apparently obligatory year in a London sh$thole - sorry, my NQT year. Many years and a fat wad of cash later, complete with moll in tow, i duly returned to Blighty, did supply and temporary and then went private. no-one gave a sh*t because I was so g&ddamned brilliant.
    Or the regulations might have changed.
    Either way, don't wait on the educational establishment to make up its mind before you do. Remember NPQH? Hahahahahahahahahaha

5. So, I take it you are saying that not doing the NQT is fine for getting into the international circuit abroad if one has international school experience?

6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Yes both of us in our mad ways are saying just that.

7. Er..yup. IMHO.

8. Thank you for the good responses guys. Gives me an enormous sense of well-being this drizzly wet afternoon.

9. I came here to Egypt as an NQT and am now in my sixth year. I will never return to the UK to work.
    I see little point in wasting time. If you really want to be an international teacher then jump into it with both feet as soon as you can because that is the type of person who thrives at this game.
    Enjoy [​IMG]

10. Thanks RW. I will take your advice.
    Have you been at the same schools for thew 6 years or have you been able to move onto better schools after completing your contract?

11. Two pretty decent schools.

12. Sounds good.

13. However it has become more difficult finding positions recently and I would, if I were you, apply for overseas positions but I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket.
    Consider UK positions as well - don't leave yourself jobless.
    Good luck.

14. Yeah, I have applied for a few jobs in the UK. Though there are a lot of people applying for the same position. There were 14 other teachers being interviewed for a single year 4 position at a school I interviewed for 2 weeks ago. Those 14 were the only ones I knew of as I met them on the Monday beofre my own interview. The interviewing process went on all week. Go figure...