1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is NCFC recognised?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ehunt8787, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Just wondered if you could all offer me some advice.

I've just recently come across a suitable career for myself (finally!) as a teaching assistant and have
    found that my nearest adult learning centre offers a level 1 and 2 course into becoming a teaching assistant.
    It is an NCFC course. I just wanted to know if this is recognised across the industry as a
    recognised qualification or are there more suitable ones around?

It involves a lesson once a week with a half day placement for 16 weeks, with the possibility of progressing
    onto a higher course. This is held at Victoria Mill in Manchester.

I'm from the Manchester area, are there any courses similar which could be a better possibility?

Please bare in mind that I was drawn to this course because I could make savings by only having
    4 GCSE'S with the help to gain one extra. Any costly courses would unfortunately not really be a possibility at the minute.

Any help, ideas or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards

2. Hi

I did the NCFE course level 2 and it got me a job. It is not as well recognised as the NVQ courses but I found it really hard to find a college which was doing that. When you see jobs advertised they usually say "or equivalent qualification" and most schools will accept NCFE as an equivalent qualification. I would try to get onto the level 2 and bypass the level 1 as most schools will want at least level 2. Good luck.

3. Yeah, sorry mustn't of heard the woman at the learning centre the phone clear enough when I asked! Thanks for the reply

4. That's good news, it's something I've been worrying over since looking more into the course. How long was your course in full? And how much work experience per week did you need, half a day? And if you don't mind me asking, was it difficult to achieve your job once you were qualified?

Thanks for your reply