1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Natalia Elphicke a fit & proper person to be an MP?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Her estranged husband - the 'naughty Tory' ex-MP - has been sentenced to 2 years in prison. The day he was convicted she said their marriage was over...but now she seems to be changing her mind. Should an MP support a convicted sex pest?

MP wife of 'naughty Tory' Charlie Elphicke brands him 'charming, charismatic and attractive', says she's NOT ruled out rekindling their relationship and vows to help him clear his name after sex crime conviction
    • Elphicke was jailed for two years after being found guilty of three sexual assaults
    • His wife Natalie, now Dover MP, accompanied him to court throughout the trial
    • Just hours after his conviction the mother-of-two said she would divorce him
    • But now she has decided to stand by her husband and support his appeal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-brands-charming-charismatic-attractive.html

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

They should have the freedom to do so, much like you have the freedom to be a Daily Mail regular reader.
    Neither are something I would choose to do.

Kandahar likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Should they, though? :eek:

Incidentally by comparing reading a daily newspaper with supporting someone who carries out sex offences, I wonder about your morality, to be honest. I guess you still think Jimmy Saville was a hoot...:confused:

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It's not unusual for wives to be supportive of convicted husbands. I don't think it should be prohibited.

alex_teccy and Kandahar like this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

She thinks her husband is charming and that there has been a miscarriage of justice - why should that make her less fit to be an MP?

nomad likes this.
  6. Morninglover

She has tried to downplay the seriousness of his crimes. The Judge called him a 'sexual predator', remember:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/you-are-a-sexual-predator-233819/

Is trying to minimise the crimes of a sexual predator suitable behaviour for an MP?

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

In general I wouldn't trust anything from the Daily Mail.

And if MPs were judged by their private life (and I mean her, not him of course), we'd need quite a few by-elections!

nomad likes this.
  8. Morninglover

It's in other papers, but some behind a paywall:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...es-jail-term-is-excessive-says-wife-79p07mjmw

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12675193/charlie-elphicke-wife-support-appeal-sex-attack-sentence/

It's Natalia Elphicke's behaviour that requires explanation - her refusal to accept the decision of the court and her belittling of the crimes.

It's not her private life...unless you know something we don't! ;)

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Her relationship with her husband is her private life.

I'm not supporting her in any way and certainly think he's an utter barsteward .

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If being a fit and proper person was a requirement, we wouldn't have many MP's left.

11. Morninglover

Yet she announced publicly when he was found guilty that their marriage was over and she would be seeking a divorce. So she put her private life in the public world.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I thought that was in the job description?

harsh-but-fair and gainly like this.
  13. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Yes! Perhaps I should have used the word 'personal' rather than private. Her relationship with her husband is personal - in all honesty, I couldn't care less about that.

I can find plenty not to like about her on a professional level, but I don't give a toss about her personal life.

nomad and nizebaby like this.
  14. Morninglover

I agree about her personal (or private) relationship with her husband, but she's come out in public to criticise the sentence he was given, thus undermining the justice system.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A spokesman for Elphicke said his lawyers had begun an attempt to overturn the conviction.

"I know that I am innocent of any criminal wrongdoing and will continue to fight to clear my name," Elphicke said in a statement.

Mrs Elphicke confirmed she supported an appeal against conviction and "today's excessive sentence," adding that "the court seems to be on a bit of a mission".

She is doing this as his wife, not as his MP. If she were supporting him as an MP supporting a constituent then it would be worthy of comment as she might (just possibly might) be accused of "undermining the justice system".

If her behaviour as an MP was unacceptable, then it would be up to the Party Shop and ultimately her constituents in Dover.

Her behaviour as a wife is not up to the Daily Mail nor the OP.

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

So a woman changed her mind to save her marriage. Mrs Elphicke's fitness to be their MP is surely a matter for the voters of Dover. Under different circumstances I might have added that the decision might also involve her party leader but somehow I don't see the present incumbent as a convincing arbiter of morals.

ajrowing likes this.
  17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Lots of woman and men stay with abusive partners, even when those partners are convicted. Are you saying that is wrong?
    She can still divorce later
    Or is the question because they are Tory MP's and so its dig at the party and its Machinery? Once convicted the party system will do its job hopefully.
    As to the crime, irrespective of the political stance, if they do wrong they need to face punishment and who they represent will hopefully punish them. If he was not a PM the chances are it would hardly get mention.

nomad likes this.
  18. Morninglover

When he was found guilty, her immediate response in public was to say that her marriage was over and she would divorce him. Based on what she has said since, she expected him to be given a suspended sentence.

Because he was sentenced as the sex pest he clearly was, she has changed her opinion and is now publicly criticising the justice system and undermining the rights of victims of sexual violence to get justice.

Her behaviour as an MP has been brought into question by her actions and comments. Certainly not just by the DM as the same story is repeated elsewhere.

ajrowing and harsh-but-fair like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You are confusing her behaviour as an MP with her behaviour as a wife.

When Corbyn digs his allotment does he do that as an MP or as a gardener?

20. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

When Mr Corbyn is digging his allotment he is not assisting a convicted offender, is he?

monicabilongame and ajrowing like this.