1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is MyMaths down?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Sep 13, 2009.

1. I'm having problems this afternoon, are others able to log in?

2. No - I think the whole site is down.

3. Many thanks.

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

working ok for me now (firefox)

5. I just went in

6. Yep, checked the homework sit. and given feedback to all my classes. I love MyMaths.

7. Have just discovered the A level section too!

8. I don't think a day goes by when I don't say 'I love MyMaths'.

9. I love it as well, but where is it? Is it down today? I need it for my final SBT A observation tomorrow.
    Yes, I'm a newbie and this is my first post!

cheers

10. I can't get the site up at the moment either...

11. I guess you prob know by now, but our HoD received an email a couple of hours ago confirming that mymaths had been the victim of a "a severe and unprecedented malicious attack" ... hopefully will be back up soon.

12. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Surely this is a reason why we should never rely on this for homework and revision?
    Personally can't see the benefit in it. Pupils give answers and I have no idea where they are going wrong? At least in a book I can see their working.

13. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

At the moment I am using this site quite a bit, and the appalling response time is REALLY annoying. Whatever has been done the cure is worse than the disease.

I don't give a damn about the privacy. I just want to be able to give my kids their lessons and for them to be able to do their homework and me to be able to check their progress.

Better a vulnerable site [in this case] than one that can't be accessed! Schools pay good money to have this ALWAYS AVAILABLE.

14. s1x

s1x

Mymaths:
    Great concept on paper...
    Shocking in reality.

So much scope, such little quality.

15. So easy to criticise - so hard to produce anything nearly as good.

16. s1x

s1x

Do you really believe a half decent company wouldn't blow it out of the water if they really felt that it would be a lucrative business venture?
    Its easy to criticise as its poor, dated and very rigid.
    I can only think you have a business interest in mymaths as this is your only post in 8 years of being a member.

17. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

It's fashionable to knock mymaths, but I think it is a rather useful resource. I'm a bit concerned about some teachers on this thread whose lessons seem to have been sunk without it. However, I think it's a great resource for kids when revising and it's reasonably cost effective. I rarely use it for setting homework - usually only for giving kids some targeted revision. Some of the interactive teaching stuff is worth pulling out in lessons. In all, I'd say it continues to be worth investing in.

18. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

But they haven't. There are already equivalent, arguably better packages out there, but none which are so widely used and easily accessible with a price tag to match. If mymaths were that useless, how come the vast majority of schools continue to subscribe?

19. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I have a business head and am sort of thinking of how to compete with it.
    To me it serves the following purposes:
    * class presentations to run through concepts
    * easy homework setting, instant marking
    * accessible at home for pupils who are ill, snowed in etc.

The things that I note:
    * its server based and as we've seen this week it can go down
    * the marking thing is great but as a teacher it bad that I do not know where the pupils have gone wrong.
    * some homeworks are silly - pupils are working out on scraps of paper at the side to type the answer in.

So far I'm thinking:
    * CD Rom with files to be uploaded to school's VLE.
    * One presentation for every Maths APP target. One homework sheet for every maths APP target.
    * Separate CD Rom with random games - ideal starters and plenaries.
    * APP spreadsheet

I'm also keen to utilise something along the lines of educreations for the ipad - presentations which are pre-done with images in, but the text / numbers are added by hand by the teacher during the lesson. I'm also keeping tabson the Khan Academy and how something like this could aid students (and whether theywill actively use it).

20. DM

DM New commenter

You do realise that APP has been six feet under for so long that it has almost completely decomposed don't you jonny?