1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is my timetable/deployment expectations reasonable?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Domomviyr, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Domomviyr

Domomviyr New commenter

I have just started my 32nd year teaching Science and Psychology in secondary schools. Despite getting great results this is the first year where I have no A Level even though I was promised a decent slot in Psychology and being part of the Criminology delivery team by the Assistant Head of Post 16. At the end of the last academic year attempts to recruit science teachers were unsuccessful. Aside from other consequences for the institution I now find myself teaching 45 out of 50 1 hour lessons in a week A/B rotation, with 12 different classes (over 350 students) covering all year groups 7-11, each with mandatory admin - annotated seating plans etc and I will be delivering three sciences at GCSE. On top of this are duties (130 minutes across 2 weeks) and Tutor Time with insistence that the role will be rigorously monitored. I have always just got on with the job (last year I had a timetable teaching every lesson in week B - 25/25) but this year just feels like educational shrapnel and I am deployed as little more than a curriculum monkey. Having enquired if this could be changed and being told 'you can always leave' my current mind set is to seek a new workplace for January start teaching A Level or perhaps to take retirement at Christmas - I will be over 58 and it is financially viable. What do my peers think?

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

“I am deployed as little more than a curriculum monkey.“

Just bend over and take it. At 58, you are expensive and grown up. You know your options. Personally, I’d resign at half term, an hour before the resignation cut-off date for payback and then go for retirement. You probably only have about 10 good years left so enjoy them.

drek, agathamorse and Domomviyr like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They need sciences to be taught to pupils at KS3/4? And you're good at it? Not only that - you're the only science teacher?

You get your 10% PPA.

The school has done nothing wrong. It is doing the right thing for the students.

The Assistant Head of Bul.l.sh.it had no right to promise you anything but you must know by now (after a long career) that such undertakings amount to no more than unicorns dancing through moonbeams.

4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Go off on the sick next week and follow the advice about resigning mentioned above Perhaps some the SMT who do not do any teaching will have to take your classes.

Domomviyr likes this.
  5. chocolateboxlife

chocolateboxlife New commenter

6. Domomviyr

Domomviyr New commenter

Thanks for the swift replies. All very interesting and valid. I do know the score and am not lame when it comes to delivering on workload. There just aren't enough science teachers to cover all the classes so some of the stuff that we can usually get engaged with has had to be ditched but there are the things that sweeten the pill. In some cases KS3 groups have 4 different teachers just to get the lessons done. I agree the school has done nothing wrong - timetable is set by a computer programme - and I am en employee so shut up and put up applies. I do values respect though but don't see it applying at present, to me or many others.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. chocolateboxlife

chocolateboxlife New commenter

I retired at 60 and did some supply work of my choice, in schools of my choice. You are an experienced teacher of Science, the Agencies will be queuing up to sign you up and schools Sixth Form colleges (where you could just do A Levels) too. So, you can carry on doing some teaching or not - you are in a very fortunate position - Resign!

drek, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  8. Domomviyr

Domomviyr New commenter

Agreed. Not the only science teacher - team of 11, including 2 assistant heads on reduced TT, 4 on TLRs with management time, two part time. P.E. staff are being used to teach KS3 biology topics. There won't be any recruitment until 2019.

MissMultitask likes this.
  9. MissMultitask

MissMultitask New commenter

Check your pension. If u have not yet claimed it a warning here. The best years for final salary members are ending . The best 3 of 10. Might be better to check this out with Teachers Pensions and also before Brexit .

chelsea2, drek, Dorsetdreams and 2 others like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I haven't an issue with the teaching. It's all the other nonsense.

I'd be leaving because of the seating plans, duties, rigorous monitoring of tutor time. It just sounds like one of those micro-managing schools that I detest and retired early from (aged 57 and a half!).

You're a good teacher who knows your stuff and gets results? I'd have you doing everything! But I'd be taking your tutor groups off you and reducing duties so you could get your lessons organised and do some practical work. I'd point you at the students, get you teaching science and making the most of you. Whilst NOT rubbing you up the wrong way and making you feel I valued your expertise.

drek, tsarina, Domomviyr and 5 others like this.
  11. MissMultitask

Absolutely agree with grumpydogwoman- its all the other crep!
    Been there done that, and to add insult to added workload like you another initiative to monitor/be accountable!!! Aaah!!! Enough!! Seriously, look at the next 10 years and think -what do I WANT?
    Tried arguing this at reducing my tutor - not a b.....y chance, we all have to support the school blah blah. Yeah at the expense of staff health and well being, whilst reducing hours elsewhere for some trendy useless intiative -which has had no impact whatsoever as yet! Grrrr.....

drek and agathamorse like this.
  12. MissMultitask

drek and phlogiston like this.
  13. MissMultitask

ABSOLUTELY!!!

14. install

install Star commenter

I would stick it out. You sound wise enough and experienced enough to know that sometimes its best to ' let sleeping dogs lie'.

Having said that, do check your timetable hours with your Union anyway. And that it is consistent with others across the school.

You have no choice - being given so little time - then to streamline the way you work. It sounds like your management team want to tick boxes - let them. Bide your time, smile sweetly...

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

It is not valid to suggest you "go off on the sick" in response to a timetable you don't like.

There sounds a lot wrong with your school but, if you are a Science teacher, I don't see how you can complain about being asked to teach Science.

16. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Isn't this a well known ploy? Give a teacher an impossible timetable and then encourage them to leave with capability?

Domomviyr likes this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You have 5/50 lessons as PPA time, so you get the 10%.
    You are a science / psychology teacher and are teaching science and psychology.
    There doesn't seem any room for complaint.

It's a pain to be given a timetable that doesn't feel challenging, isn't exciting, doesn't enthral us, but that doesn't make it wrong or unreasonable.

mothorchid, strawbs and border_walker like this.
  18. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

This! Except the short notice; it’s not the kids fault, at least give them a fighting chance to get someone.

19. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Just sounds like a normal Science teacher’s timetable. I’m lucky enough to have A level to break it up a bit, but others in my faculty have exactly this, and I have in the past.

20. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

All good advice apart from 'go off on the sick'-think of the negative impact this will have on resources, colleagues and budget. Leave with dignity after what sounds like a long and very successful career!