1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is my school experience enough?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Alec2005, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Any extra experience working with secondary school age children will be useful, and if you think you can do with more, it's a good idea to get some now like helping with youth groups, scouts, DOE, sports or in other voluntary activities. By the time you are hopefully called for interview, you can speak about your experience of interacting with teenagers, esp in the area of behaviour management. This is a major area where a lot of trainees come unstuck on placement.

2. Hi,

Check with the Uni's that you want to do the PGCE with. I know for Nottingham Trent it says on their website at least 2 weeks experience as a minimum.

Keeley

3. I agree, most will be looking for a minimum of 2 weeks, many look for more as a base level for entry. Websites should give some indication.

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Think about anything you did at school with younger students or at uni like helping to train rugby team or charity work that shows that you are an all-rounder. Think about any paid work that you have done when you came into contact with kids. If you can, volunteer with Scouts or some other organisation.

5. the question is do you think you haveenough expirience if you think you do then I see no reason why you cant go for another you need to be confident abot your self and trust that you can do this.

6. Like others have said,you must find out with the university you're applying for how much experience they require.
    Obviously the more you have the better - because then at interview you have lots to talk about and discuss, whilst being able to build on this knowledge when you start the course.
    It's not about quantity though, it's about quality that gets you the PGCE place. You must attempt to apply your experience to everything they ask you, using that experience to the best of your advantage. Tell them how you have learnt from it, what you would do differently, if it was a punishment - how will you use/not use the strategy used by the teacher? - Those sorts of things. I only have 3 months experience at my interview and just used my experience like that, and I got a place!

7. Hey mate - I am/was in a similar boat to you. I have a Business degree and currently work full time. I recently got onto a SCITT PGCE and I only had about one week in total split over a few days. I am a quantity surveyor currently, so it was difficult to get time off to gain work exerience. Like others have said, it's about quality. I think the fact I have actual work experience behind me helped massively.

8. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

7 days is not very much. As you say, though, it is difficult to get the experience when you're working. I would ask the (or a) university for their advice.