1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is my sacrifice too large to go into teaching???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lionheart7, May 12, 2019.

?

Should I go into teaching?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. No

73 vote(s)
    92.4%
  1. Lionheart7

Lionheart7 New commenter

Hi guys,

In my 20s at the moment and currently working in finance. I have received all my offers to do PGCE maths this September and have been awarded the scholarship. I have been really looking forward to it as I have worked in a school before for 6 months and really enjoyed most aspects. And I've had to prepare loads for these interviews and booked time out of my annual leave for them.

My work don't know about my plans, and I had a meeting last week and they said they expect me to be promoted again within a year and soon I will be on 60k a year plus benefits plus progression further beyond that salary as the company is very much growing.

I've already made a few sacrifices, I've sold my Porsche which I've had a for a few years because I can't afford to run it whilst being a PGCE student. On top the salary is 24k starting for a maths teacher which means I will be taking a massive pay cut, I mean we're not talking a few grand here.

24k means the places I go out to eat, holidays, car and general lifestyle will be vastly different.

My plan was to make my money and then at 40 go into teaching, but I feel I can make a greater impact whilst I'm still somewhat fresh minded, and I have received wonderful feedback from students and schools I've interacted with in the past. The world of finance in cruel, I have to be ruthless (which is unlike me) to stay ahead - it's not a place for morals and i will say no more.

What do you guys think? Would you consider teaching in my situation or would you stay? My friends are largely telling me to stay in finance and cash out whilst I can.

Cheers guys.

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Well... to me it is a no contest.
    If you stay in finance and play a canny game there is no reason why you shouldn't build up the kind of portfolio that could see you retire in early 40s. I don't know for sure obviously but I would imagine you aren't having to work a 60+ hour week facing constant criticism which is all too often the world of teaching. AS a Maths graduate you would probably always be welcome in the education scenario. I do think though that things will get a lot worse in teaching before they get any better.
    You could of course do some private coaching/teaching if you have any appropriate free time right now. I would suggest aim for children who are failing at Maths as they will more than likely be in the majority at any state schools, if any remain 15 isn years on from now.If you are totally financially secure at 40 you will be in a position few older teachers find themselves in these days - so many are in fear of management in present schools and are stuck because of financial reasons.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

What are your push and pull factors, out of finance and into teaching? Have you longer term personal goals and how do the salary implications of your choices impact on them? What is your main motivator ... cold hard cash or something else?

This is a deeply personal choice so I couldn't presume to know what your motivations to go into teaching are although I will say if I were in your shoes with the benefit of hindsight and having worked in all sorts of teaching and non teaching roles, I would cash in on the finance while it is available to you cover the essentials and consider the above factors since it is likely that teaching isn't going anywhere and is something you are likely to be able to return to later on, I'd enjoy the freedoms youth and cash afford you and I'd advise the NAB's that same... well I have advised them the same.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Sorry but I disengaged at Hi, guys. We are a mixed audience and although it’s considered a trendy acceptable form of address, I find it very tone deaf. You need to know your audience.

Anyway, your question is a no brainier. Stay.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do it. Head of a MAT in a few years, six figure salary, no problem.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s only 20k for a scholarship. Think you might have to scale back thoughts of your fishing trip.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

30 or more years ago, I might well have said 'yes, go for it'. Today I'd say 'are you mad'? So No!

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You must be insane - don't even think about teaching these days.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Surely this is a wind up?

Lara mfl 05, strawbs, bonxie and 13 others like this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You think the world of finance is cruel? No place for morals?

..and you claim to have worked in schools? Clearly none of them were MATs.

Sold the Porsche my **** - this has to be a wind up.

Stay in finance and SELL PORK BELLIES. :)

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, your sacrifice is too large unless you’re a martyr.

14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Sorry, I just can't take this post seriously....'sacrificed my Porsche'...o_O

15. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

It seems that you are under the misapprehension that the world of education is a touchy feely environment of high ideals and caring professionals.This is not the case in very many schools, quite the opposite in fact. Pay and working conditions are poor.The culture is entirely target orientated with all the sticks of a financial career but none of the carrots. I would not advise anyone to go into teaching . I have three children who all work in finance. They are treated like adults and respected professionals, not constantly criticised and micro managed. They work fewer hours and have higher salaries and other benefits.
    Don't do it.

Lara mfl 05, cissy3, TCSC47 and 10 others like this.
  16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Bad boy!

JL48, Jamvic, catbefriender and 3 others like this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You and SMT, a match made in heaven:rolleyes::confused:

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

When I've recovered from the hysteria brought on by this dilemma I might have an answer for you.

Lara mfl 05, TCSC47, bevdex and 5 others like this.
  19. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

You're delusional. Offer me 60k a year, I'll push boulders up hills instead of teach.

Honestly, do some research before running into fantasy land.

TCSC47, les25paul, Mermaid7 and 6 others like this.
  20. Lionheart7

Lionheart7 New commenter

Hi,

This might sound very cringe to you guys, but my motivation to go into teaching is that I feel I must make a greater contribution to society. I can't save lives but with my skills this is a way I feel I can contribute. I feel I am experienced enough in industry to give kids a solid platform with education and career guidance, like I can give very specific advice to help them get into ftse 100 companies.

I don't like that finance is not rewarding, I use my skills to make rich people richer. Year end and month ends are always quite stressed. As you approach the 60k+ salary band, accountability and expectation rise hugely. I will be expected to work longer hours, check emails during the evenings, attend many more meetings etc.

And I suppose the idea of holidays sounds good? We don't get a lot, 25-30 days and they have to ideally be booked in advanced, not during month/year ends. The weekends feel very short, I feel having a weeks break to look forward to every so often would be quite motivating and refreshing?