1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is my pay reasonable? Lit coordinator & SLT

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by unloved, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Dear all
    I'm just looking for a bit of an idea from others here about pay.
    I'm currently a Literacy co-ordinator in a Junior school (240 pupils). I am part of the SLT, comprising of myself, maths coordinator, deputy and head. For my SLT role, I am expected to perform performance management reviews for other staff as well as usual coordinator roles.
    I am currently on M6 with a TLR2 (lowest) for Literacy. I have been told that due to inadequate targets set by my previous head that it is unlikely I will get through threshold this year to take me to UPS.
    I am also a SST and work for the county in other schools to raise standards in literacy.
    Two other teachers have been asked to apply for AST status. However, although I stated interest in this at the start of the year, my head does not want me out of the classroom anymore than I need to be so I am not being put forward for it. This will mean that two teachers will be paid considerably more than me as ASTs even though they don't have the management responsibilities I have. Another teacher has the same TLR as me for ICT.
    I don't want to sound like I'm bitter here (I realise I probably do!) but I feel as though I am doing an awful lot more work than most for the lowest possible salary. I understand that Literacy coordinators usually do not earn big bucks and I accept that. However, I feel that my added SLT responsibilities should be recognised somewhere within my salary.
    I would like to get an idea of where I stand with this and what would be my next course of action to bring this up with the head.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Dear all
    I'm just looking for a bit of an idea from others here about pay.
    I'm currently a Literacy co-ordinator in a Junior school (240 pupils). I am part of the SLT, comprising of myself, maths coordinator, deputy and head. For my SLT role, I am expected to perform performance management reviews for other staff as well as usual coordinator roles.
    I am currently on M6 with a TLR2 (lowest) for Literacy. I have been told that due to inadequate targets set by my previous head that it is unlikely I will get through threshold this year to take me to UPS.
    I am also a SST and work for the county in other schools to raise standards in literacy.
    Two other teachers have been asked to apply for AST status. However, although I stated interest in this at the start of the year, my head does not want me out of the classroom anymore than I need to be so I am not being put forward for it. This will mean that two teachers will be paid considerably more than me as ASTs even though they don't have the management responsibilities I have. Another teacher has the same TLR as me for ICT.
    I don't want to sound like I'm bitter here (I realise I probably do!) but I feel as though I am doing an awful lot more work than most for the lowest possible salary. I understand that Literacy coordinators usually do not earn big bucks and I accept that. However, I feel that my added SLT responsibilities should be recognised somewhere within my salary.
    I would like to get an idea of where I stand with this and what would be my next course of action to bring this up with the head.
    Thanks in advance!

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

You have actually laid out your arguments here and yours sounds like a simple case of exploitation. It also doesn't sound like you want to have a fight over this. You are performing an SLT role without leadership pay and could simply withdraw from that if you make no headway with gentle persuasion of your head. You could also start applying for other jobs (you don't have to take them, your head will notice that you are looking to move on).
    Is a bit of a crock. Threshold progession has to be based on your performance, not the soundness of the targets set for you.

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I agree with BB on both points!
    Firstly, if you are truely a member of SLT, you should be paid on the leadership spine for your troubles. This itself brings changes to your terms and conditions, which is compensated by extra pay. No Leadership Spine = no SLT work in my opinion.
    Secondly, if you were set 'inadequate' targets, that isn't your fault. You can still demonstrate good practice, good pupil attainment etc. Your head cannot use this reason to deny you UPS1. You must involve your union if this is not remedied.
    Mark

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not true in primary schools, where subject co-ordinators are often brought on to the SLT to widen participation in decision-making. The OP's duties are commensurate with a middle manager who holds a TLR - I haven't heard of anything there that is a duty that ought to be paid on the leadership spine.
    That s/he might be on too low a TLR is a different issue and one s/he needs to take up with the head and governing body.

6. Thank you for your comments.
    I agree that in a primary, it is not usual for a member of SLT to necessarily be paid on the leadership spine. However, I am being asked to perform duties above and beyond a literacy coordinator i.e. extra duties, performance management reviews. This, I believe, is not something you get paid for on a TLR for literacy??!
    In regard to my targets, my old head set a target that all my children would make 2/3 of a level progress in Year 3 last year. Firstly, we are only targetted for year 3 children to make 1/3 of a level and secondly all children is above and beyond normal expectation. My other target was to undertake moderation of writing between our school and the infant school. I continually asked my headteacher to arrange meetings for me to meet with the infant school but as a classroom teacher (I was not even lit. coord at this point!) I could not simply arrange meetings between myself, head and Year 2 teachers in my role! Therefore, I believe both my targets to be unfairly set.
    I am feeling rather put out and that I am being taken for a ride. I am not seen as ambitious, I don't think, because i have never shown the ambition to be a deputy head. I do, however, have excellent skills as a Literacy coordinator and believe my work as an SST should be recognised. I am going to find out when my pay review is and bring these matters to the govenors' attention (should be interesting as I'm also a governor!)
    Any more viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

7. Have found 3 jobs to apply for which I have relevant experience for. Two of them are TLR 2a and the other is leadership L3. I think that says a lot about my current pay situation!
    Am going to see the schools and hopefully apply!

8. You should contact your Trade Union over Threshold progression.

9. It gets better.......
    Probably not going to go through Threshold cos of stupid targets.
    Last week, head asked me if I would take on PSHE as well as Literacy. I said I didn't really want to so he told me to think about it. Told him today that I don't want to as I feel I have enough work on as it is. Basically he told me that if it were up to him, I wouldn't get a TLR just for Literacy - that it should really be for two subjects. So he seriously thinks that the lowest TLR is still too much for leading Literacy. I'm starting to think this guy's taking the pee.....

10. Apart from being very rude, which I will forgive you for because you obviously have some kind of anger issue at the moment, your post is extremely factually incorrect. If you really want me to go into the whole background of my career, I can, but it would take rather a while.
    However, just to clarify - I have never received a job description for Literacy coordinator. I was awarded a TLR to lead PSHE, Healthy Schools, D&T as well as other bits and pieces originally. The Literacy Coordinator then left and the job was passed to me, without a job description! My new head has continually added new responsibilities which weren't part of my job previously i.e. carrying out performance management reviews.
    In regard to progress - the agreed targets for any child in Year 3 is one sub level. Of course you would aspire for the children to progress over and above this and to their level of ability. However, you seem to have little experience or understanding of transition issues between an infant and junior school and the mismatch that can occur between Key stage assessments. In addition, your facts are incorrect again, as I was not set an average of 2/3 of a level, but that EVERY child achieved that! With regard to your target of 4 points - I sincerely doubt this is realistic or achieveable for most children, or can i suggest that maybe the difference between me and the teachers at your school is that maybe they stretch reality for the sake of their progression!! Please don't tell me that all teachers with this ridiculous target should fail their performance management??! But then, this would be an excellent way to ensure teachers are kept on minimal pay, isn't it??!
    In regard to being literacy coordinator, this is what I always wanted to do and my TLR pays me to do this. This aspect of my job I love, alongside the teaching. However, to tell me that I somehow do not deserve any additional renumeration for additional responsibilities is a very strange argument. You would be happy, presumably, to take on any leadership responsibilities for free - how good of you. For others, however, to feel taken for granted and unappreciated is not what they went into teaching for. I did not become a teacher to earn a fortune. Nor did I do it to have to work 60 hours a week for the love of the job. If teaching only attracts those who would do this, and if you are advocating people adopting this attitude, then I fear for the state of the job and those poor people you expect to accept any conditions just because it is a vocation. I find this attitude offensive as it suggests that teachers should put up and shut up which indicates a distinct lack of respect for the profession.
    Of course, why on earth should anyone aspire to get paid a salary that reflects the level of work they do or the level of responsibility they hold. What a ridiculous request.

11. Goodness me, you really are unloved ! My point is that your ARE getting an appropriate level of renumeration for the job you are doing. Nearly all literacy leaders are on TLR's. As for your other ignorant comments, yes, I do expect a lot of my staff, but no, my expectations are not unrealistic and careful moderation shows that staff do not lie about their end of year assessments. Nor does the CVA of over 101 my school has achieved in the last 4 years show this. I have high expectations of my staff and they have high expectations of their their children. It works, my school is outstanding and our CVA proves it.

Perhaps you could look at your situation the other way, a TLR for PSHCE and DT is practically unheard of in a school with only 240 children - maybe your Head knows this and that is why he asked you to take on the additional responsibility.

Clearly you feel very badly done to and I hope you find a post which does pay you what you think you deserve. Be aware though, the further up management you go, the less free time you have and the greater the demands of the job. Are you sure you're cut out for that ?

12. I find it quite shocking that someone who has never met me can think it is acceptable to judge my professional attitude based on a posting about my salary, but as you seem to have made your mind up about the expectations I have for my children, I will not bother to further argue that point. Whatever way you look at it, a 2/3 level progress for ALL children in Year 3 is above what is expected and is an unfair target for performance management. It is, however, an excellent strategy to place vast pressure on staff and this is obviously also translated in some way onto the children. We also achieve CVC of over 100 in Literacy and maths and this does not require a 4 point progress target for all children. If it had been an average target, I would be happy with that.
    Aside from all of that, a series of 4 headteachers over the last 4 years has been the cause of all of this confusion surrounding my job. My original TLR was given to me at the end of one academic year to lead Maths. When the acting head took over, however, she decided she wanted to lead maths and the TLR then became the random D&T, PSHE etc etc. This then changed again last year to Literacy. This has then changed again to Literacy & SLT. My argument here is that I have never ever received any job description about what this will entail. Therefore, every head teacher has added more and more responsibility to the job and it has resulted in other members of staff holding the same TLRs in the school for much less work!
    I perfectly understand and accept that the further up I go in management, the more work I would have. This is absolutely fine if that would have been the job I had agreed to do. However, it was not. I never claimed I wanted to be in management and that is why I started SST/AST work. I have no aspiration to be a deputy head teacher and because I actually love teaching, that is what I want to spend my time doing. I believe that a TLR should reflect a level of responsibility. Is that so wrong?