1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Is my Dishwasher dying?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Jun 2, 2011.

1. About a month ago it started leaving residue ... and then worsened to leaving food

Cleaned

Ran clean cycle

Stuck hand down gunk pipe

Then ran a load in Intensive ... we usually use the eco-setting

More heat and more water but clean dishes ... went with this for a week or so thinking it might clean it out

Tried to go back to eco yesterday ... nasty again

So, I can clearly run on intensive but does this mean the dishwasher is dying or is there something else I could try

2. About a month ago it started leaving residue ... and then worsened to leaving food

Cleaned

Ran clean cycle

Stuck hand down gunk pipe

Then ran a load in Intensive ... we usually use the eco-setting

More heat and more water but clean dishes ... went with this for a week or so thinking it might clean it out

Tried to go back to eco yesterday ... nasty again

So, I can clearly run on intensive but does this mean the dishwasher is dying or is there something else I could try

3. Try using some dishwasher cleaner stuff maybe? My dishwasher died a couple of years ago, it started trying to wash the whole kitchen [​IMG]

4. Have you tried cleaning the rotary arms? Ours just unscrew and we flush them out, it is amazing the things we have seen in there!
    Also do a trouble shooting search on google with the make and model and see if this is a common fault.

5. we tried that ... to no avail ... thanks [​IMG]

6. hmmmmmmmmm ... good thinking ... will look

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

my first 2 instincts:
    1) check the arms - you might need a pin to clear the holes!
    2) clean it thoroughly.

I use loo cleaner for both these jobs as it has limescale cleaner in it as well as cleaning well: I squirt the liquid than come in a swan-necked bottle into the arm and run the machine with 2 of the blocks that you normally chuck into the bowl of the loo.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our dishwasher is ancient, about 20 years old and still working, although its energy rating must be Z. The last time it got ill, the service bloke pointed out a sort of U-bend in the pipe under the drainage hole and said that a common problem is that they get bunged up. He told me that the next time it was poorly I should reach under the machine and check this pipe for blockages. If that wasn't the problem he said it would be cheaper to buy a new machine than to call someone out to fix the old one.

Obviously, as dishwashers combine water with electricity, it's important to unplug it at the mains before any messing around with its piping.

9. My thinking is ... if it washes clean on the high pressure, high temp then it is probably not stuff stuck somewhere [​IMG]

10. I find the eco prog doesn't always clean as thoroughly, anyway and dishes can be left a bit gritty. If the Intensive setting is working efficiently, chances are the machine itself is ok.

11. I have always found it fine for all apart from glasses which I then tend to wash by hand

Hopefully [​IMG]

It does make everything sparkle