1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is my career ruined?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by xtra, Oct 7, 2015.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

Cutting a long story short, I had a lot of time off sick with anxiety caused by a bullying HOD and SMT a few years ago. I relocated abroad to teach and an early finish (half-term) was negotiated with the UK school, along with an agreed reference.
    I've had 6 job interviews to start in september, was successful at 1 but they called my previous UK school for a phone reference and consequently withdrew the job offer on the grounds of my sickness record being too high and "other issues raised".
    I'm now registered with supply agencies but haven't been getting any work despite it being available.
    Should I just give up now and look for a different career?

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It's too early in the school year to write-off supply work. The first term is always fairly slow because teachers are still fairly hale and hearty after the summer break. If the agency had any qualms about sending you out on assignments they would have told you soon after the registration and subsequent reference gathering that they have to undertake. Give them a ring to remind them that you are still very keen.

Supply teaching often opens doors to other schools that you might not have considered before and confirmation that you are actually a good teacher.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I agree with @snowyhead that it is early days yet. And I also agree that supply can be an excellent way to get back into the swing of things after being abroad, get yourself known to schools (Heads have been known to phone-a-friend and recommend a supply teacher for a permanent post), get the chance of another referee if you teach often at the same school, and re-gain your confidence.

So hassle them a little about the jobs, be flexible in the subjects and schools and even levels that you will do.

And - although this advice is too late for you, so I blame your union, other readers please note that this was the BIG mistake:

When negotiating anything to do with leaving, including a settlement agreement, you should ALWAYS get them to agree to keep you on the books until the normal leaving dates of 31 December, 30 April or 31 August.

Even if you do not have to be in school - in fact probably best if not there in many cases. Even if it means you have to take less money in any settlement. Your end date of employment should be at a normal time.

It was the unusual leaving date that made the school ring the other school. Very many schools, most probably, will look askance at a non-normal leaving date.

But back to your query - get some supply work under your belt and you'll feel better!

Best wishes

a_muse likes this.