1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is my behaviour chart racist?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Seadream, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I teach reception and have a chart where children all start on the sunshine, then can progress to a rocket then a star or go down to a white then a black cloud. My son's classroom (in a different school) had this chart and it worked so well, I copied the idea. My HT has said that having a black cloud suggests black is bad and that is racist and that it needed removing immediately. The children know that the clouds represent bad then stormy weather and match bad then worse behaviour. The HT told this to my jobshare who then changed the black cloud to purple -which is fine, but is it racist to have a black cloud? (Incidentally I'd originally planned to make the black cloud grey but there was no grey card in the stock cupboard so I went for black instead.....)

2. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I teach reception and have a chart where children all start on the sunshine, then can progress to a rocket then a star or go down to a white then a black cloud. My son's classroom (in a different school) had this chart and it worked so well, I copied the idea. My HT has said that having a black cloud suggests black is bad and that is racist and that it needed removing immediately. The children know that the clouds represent bad then stormy weather and match bad then worse behaviour. The HT told this to my jobshare who then changed the black cloud to purple -which is fine, but is it racist to have a black cloud? (Incidentally I'd originally planned to make the black cloud grey but there was no grey card in the stock cupboard so I went for black instead.....)

3. No.

4. Perhaps your HT should ask God to change the colour of the rainclouds ;)

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

how about red to symbolise eternal damnation?
    and no it isn't racist, the head is a plonker.

or maybe he is the racist if he sees skin colour as important?

6. Not racist.
    I think all this changing the colour to purple might mess the kids heads up for the weather bit of their geography though.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Your head is a ridiculous PC numpty, its NOTHING to do with skin colour or race. x

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

But it's OK for white to still be better than purple?

9. In cloud descriptions, yes.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I never realised you were a closet cloudist, bauble.

11. Buy dark grey cardboard and then stick a yellow lightening rod across the front. Having said that it is a weird chart. The stars and the rocket don't seem to fit in with the season theme of sunshine, clouds, rainclouds..??
    What about 1) dark grey storm clouds with lightening + rain, 2) then light grey clouds, 3) then white clouds partially covering the sun, 4) then just the sun,5) then beaming sun with rainbow?
    Yes, you are right. I am bored out of my brain. Summer holidays + Christmas holidays combine over here which means we are on leave from a week before Christmas until first week of first week of feb. think I'm going a bit stir-crazy.

12. We prefer to be called cloudophiles, harshy.

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It may be something your Head is trying to be extra PC about.
    The Spanish word for black is ' n e g r o ' (hopefully with the spaces will let me post this, if not it means the colour black) and I've known Heads object to this word being displayed -in a list of colours on the wall, because it's 'racist'. I've know other examples of such stupidity too.
    Just take it as your Head being extra careful not to offend. Perhaps change the cloud to grey? (so as not to confuse the 'weather') and next time use a different scheme.

14. Dear God, rescue us from the over-zealous and totally misguided and ignorant PC Brigade.

NO.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Surely the chart is weatherist, not racist. It's suggesting that clouds are worse than not clouds. I quite like dark, cloudy days. I'd be aiming to get to that bit of the chart!
    Yes, your head is a plonker. I think your chart sounds fun. What about the blackboard/whiteboard thing? Is the headlong dash to ditch the black ones and idolise the white ones (even though they're less robust, the pens are expensive and the children are exposed to chemical smells from the pens...) also evidence of racism? At our local primary they're only allowed to wear <u>white</u> polo shirts too. I take it there's nothing like that at your school!

16. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks for all your responses - I was feeling cross with myself for being 'caught out' by the head - I shall happily show this thread to my jobshare (on second thoughts I'll tell her about it - can't have her knowing my username!). I know the chart thing doesn't make sense rockets, stars, clouds etc but I just lifted the whole idea from my sons classroom and basically it works! They all want to be on the rocket or the star and not on a cloud (white, black or purple.....)

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Use a gradient fill on the cloud graphic so it's black at the bottom and light grey at the top.

If the Head still objects, print the cloud in increasingly lighter shades of grey until the Head has decreed which shade of grey isn't racist.

..or they finally realise what a complete tw*t they're being.

18. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Totally agree with funnyandfree.
    Real racism has got absolutely nothing to do with colours on a chart. This is 'PC gone mad'-again!

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Nice one![​IMG]

20. A colleague of mine had a lesson observation feedback session in which the (untraining/unqualified non-teacher) observer claimed that he hadn't adhered to E & D guidelines because he refered to the piano keys as being "black and white". I know he gave the observer a complete mouthful and asked what the heck they should be called and that perhaps she could dream up something suitable and convert the rest of the world to using her new terms after a good number of centuries.
    The world's mad!