1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is moderation in early years a gravy train for uninspiring ex teachers?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, May 5, 2011.

1. They seem very dull people to me. All that advice and you just know thet are still going to be hopeless. And would the world end if Iqbal was given a 7 for creative development when really he was only a 6. Does anyone outside of the incestuous world of early years really care. No they don't.

2. They seem very dull people to me. All that advice and you just know thet are still going to be hopeless. And would the world end if Iqbal was given a 7 for creative development when really he was only a 6. Does anyone outside of the incestuous world of early years really care. No they don't.

3. I dont know about them being dull, but they have certainly lost their grip on reality. I read on here about someone being scolded for not making clear in their evidence what belonged to the 80% and what belonged to the 20%. I suppose they wanted a statistical analysis and a plethora of graphs to show the rule was being kept. Mama mia. Kafka would have written a book about it.
    Whatever happened to trusting the info people carry in their heads? It is not essential to have everything in triplicate with recorded evidence, and I don't care what they say. I know my children and I would never over- or understate their achievements - because, like most teachers, I have a millstone round my neck with 'conscientious' written on it in blood. If only it was visible to these shortsighted people! Grrr [​IMG]

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Once again I think how fortunate I am to work for my LEA when I hear comments like these.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Me too. I have posted on the other " moderation" thread so I won't repeat myself.
    My la has a policy of only using current eyfs teachers as moderators. I was one for years, it was a secondment for a number of days per year. They're keen to ensure that the process is positive and realistic. I gave up the role when I became a head as, although I still teach, I'm not in EYFS regularly enough to remain call myself an eyfs teacher. I used to enjoy moderating though, it was always a positive experience and I often learned a lot from the schools I visited.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I forgot to add, it wasn't a gravy train for me. I wasn't paid any extra to donut. I did it for my own professional development.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I appear to have particularly fat fingers tonight. Excuse typos!