1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is MFL statutory and if so at what key stage?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by teach4toffee, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi - I know this is something that has been discussed before. I am helping to set up an independent SEN school and we have an ofsted registration visit soon. Can anyone advise - what is the current legal situation with MFL - particularly at Primary? It seems it was made statutory but with the change of GVT it now appears unclear?
    Thanks
    Matt

2. Hi - I know this is something that has been discussed before. I am helping to set up an independent SEN school and we have an ofsted registration visit soon. Can anyone advise - what is the current legal situation with MFL - particularly at Primary? It seems it was made statutory but with the change of GVT it now appears unclear?
    Thanks
    Matt

3. The special school where I work takes the same approach as oddkid6's school. It's done on a highly individualised, sensory basis. The students try a range of foods from different countries, have themed assemblies and listen to native songs/music. I think there are a couple of classes where French is taught on a semi regular basis but these are the higher ability classes.

4. Also just thought I would add.... BSL counts as an MFL. So if you are teaching finger spelling, or even Makaton as some of the signs are based on BSL, then that counts.
    Sarah

5. lisilu

lisilu Occasional commenter

Hi

Primary languages remain an entitlement as the legislation that was to make it statutory from 2011 was "shelved' at the time of the General election as agreement couldn't be reached between parties to pass the whole law of which it was part in time. http://www.primarylanguages.org.uk/home/news/news_articles/dfe_statement.aspx

However, with so much work having gone into primary languages,and also with the realisation that it is of great benefit in terms of enrichment and crosscurricular, many schools as you say are forging ahead and continuing as was.

As to BSL counting as an MFL, I'm not sure about that! Using BSL to access other languages is certainly encouraged but BSL as the language being taught, I have to say I'm not sure about that. However, Im willing to be contradicted!

Lisa xx