1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is MFL going to be compulsory now

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jkhanom, Mar 13, 2012.

1. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

was in my departmental meeting and have been told that this is coming round again. Is MFL going to be compulsory for everyone in KS4?

2. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

was in my departmental meeting and have been told that this is coming round again. Is MFL going to be compulsory for everyone in KS4?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

According to that nice man in the Department for Education, yes.

4. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

When will this take place and should I be optimistic for job prospects?

5. I understood that it was just a statutory requirement at KS4 (as it currently is), as opposed to compulsary.

6. whats thew difference?

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

it is not and will not compulsory at my school

8. Correct me if I am wrong but does it not mean that it has to be offered at KS4 but pupils don't have to choose it. I am very lucky- it is compulsory in my school - although not so when you have bottom sets asking why they have to do it! In my two top set classes (60 approx) I only know of three who wish to continue at AS level :(

9. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

10. Not compulsory in my small independent in North Yorkshire. Have around 60% take up most years at KS4 and in geoup of 15 mixed ability...every garde from A* to E and 5 nationalities this year have 5 takers for AS level next year.
    Present. Year 12 group of 6 ...4 will continue to A2. We offer only French and German and ESL.

11. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

The implication of what Geekie has posted is that it will be compulsory in some form from 2014 from Y5 to Y11. It'll be up to individual schools what it actually looks like.
    Although for any school that has become an academy or is a free school it will only be a recommendation as the NC won't be enforced.
    Geekie - is that right?

12. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

You could be right about exemptions for academies and free schools. Makes a mockery of a national curriculum, doesn't it? Or have I missed something?