1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 'Lying through your teeth' an inappropriate or offensive idiomatic phrase?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lightningconductor, Mar 28, 2012.

1. lightningconductor

lightningconductor New commenter

Thanks to all who have responded.
    As yet, I've heard nothing more about the complaint. Maybe the head has deflected it. Maybe the break means I'm simply out of touch with developments. Either way, I'm trying to spend Easter not thinking about parents and their responses to my phraseology!

2. parents behaving like children. trying to infantilise teachers....as they themselves are being infantilised by the conumer choice and rights delusion... idioms as others have said are a rich part of language.....head should have no truck with it and show it the door.. might even offer the parent insight in how to grow up... you are the teacher it is for you to deal with children and parents the head is purely an administrator. it is your heritage and your professional growth that is in play here....

3. Lighteningconductor, I totally support you and think the nonsense others are saying is ridiculous- if you worked in my school I would totally support you and can't believe it could go further. In situations like this just sit back and think how hard the parents are making their job for themselves! When that child gets to teenage years the parents might wish that their little darling had been challenged when they lied and been disciplined better!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

what!!!
    Perhaps lessons in common sense should be part of the ITT

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Err, what?

You don't actually find it offensive do you? What would you do if somebody said something truly horrible to you? Would you head explode from not being able to handle the offensiveness?

6. Msz

It would depend on MissG having previously had lessons in offensiveness surely

7. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

definitely world gone mad. have taught a child who was a proven liar, was actually seen by a member of staff write on a bench with a marker pen and wouldn't admit to doing it (wasn't even there miss, don't know why MrX would make stuff up about me) luckily parents were understandable and child challenged on every occasion by starting 'you lied before why should i trust you aren't now?'

8. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Yes I do especially if someone shouted at me in a room full of people . There are ways of showing how offended one is. You don't have to agree with me. I would have never said what the OP said to a child or even an adult.

9. AlwaysAdaptable

Tried to edit but it was too late. Just because I don't agree with the OP doesn't mean that I am not sympathetic. Also I find it very strange that a lot of posters have jumped on the bandwagon of attacking me.

10. Msz

Luckily the OP didn't shout it in a room full of people or even in an empty room ...

11. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

And surely the only way it could possibly be offensive if it wasn't true?

12. Well, it's not really a suitable way of talking to a child. You can show disapproval without using such emotional language. This sounds like an outburst on the part of the teacher, and as such would be less effective in handling the situation than a calmer approach. That doesn't mean you let the child get away with telling lies.However, who hasn't had the occasional outburst with a naughty child. It's only human. Hopefully the head teacher will be understanding of that and the OP will learn from it.

13. Milgod

There is no bandwagon, you are just too sensitive.

What you think of as offensive is a far cry from what I do, and I am a sensitive soul.

Is it the term that you find offensive or calling/being called a liar?

14. Milgod

OMG!

What type of lily-livered, pansy-ass world are we living in?! Emotional language! They said a child was lying, what the hell is wrong with that? Soon enough we won't be able to tell a child to be quiet if they are shouting out in class for fear of being too offensive or emotional.

15. AlwaysAdaptable

Its the idiom used I found offensive. But if a child is a liar and the child is a liar and I would have used a different approach. But then I am not the same as the OP and like I said in another post that even though I don't agree with the idiom she used I am still sympathetic to a fellow professional. Now if it is alright with you can we agree to disagree.

16. No, to say a child is lying is just that ie "You are telling a lie", when you add something eg 'bare-faced lie', lying through your teeth' you are turning up the emotional heat and revealing that you are rattled. And it is the teacher's emotions that are revealed, not the child's. It's simply not effective. Just like screaming at children like a banshee is not effective. In fact, it's not adult. It's child-like behaviour, a mini-tantrum. There's nothing lily-livered about taking the grown up approach, and the grown-up approach is likely to be far more effective. Ie saying calmly that the child is lying and that you know that, and that lying to the teacher has consequences, which are .... (something which will affect the child in a more lasting way than having to listen to their teacher going off on one).

17. This is an interesting one. I don't think I would ever use that term with a child myself, although I'm hard pressed to say exactly why. I think it's mostly to do with Thumbie's idea
    Although equally the OP could have used this term quite calmly and without being overly emotional. You might choose to use the phrase if you thought it was appropriate to emphasise to the child the impact of their previous lie.
    I do think the parent has completely overreacted, I can't really believe it's gotten as far as it has- sends completely the wrong message to pupils, parents and staff. Hopefully your head will back you on this one. If it does carry on, I agree with whichever poster said it would be worth finding out exactly what the parent is complaining about and what impact your words have had on the child- I can't imagine there's been much!

18. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Well, Boris just called Ken a f'ing liar and then refused to apologise, so its all relative.

Not very professional, but then, not much more than a storm in a tea cup...

19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Is this a mini-tantrum?

20. All children lie - pretty much all the time (well every day I mean), they need to as part of their social development. I work with young people at the moment (by the age of 16 lying really is pretty much all the time) I would try not to bother getting into a conversation about people lying previously to back up a current situation when they are probably lying - doesn't really help achieve anything useful. I just take everything constantly with a large handful of salt, whilst remaining (pretty much, well 80%) helpful and interested in their lives on the outside. Unfortunately this attitude also means I am in a perpetual state of suspicion! lol. -and of course most parents just believe their children all the time, cos they cant see a reason why they would lie - they don't realise this is just a habit, which spills over from innocent to more serious in lots of cases.