1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is likeability an important quality for a teacher?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 10, 2019.

1. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

If this applies to classroom teachers it should also apply to leadership roles. Staff should be able to rate ability and similar skills. Clarity of purpose, ability to motivate, reliability of prompt feedback etc

2. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

There is the danger of most popular teacher = the teacher who lets us do what we want.
    I've seen a lot of this over the years and have also seen either shocking or fudged results from the same teachers.
    The respect fades quickly when the kids leave.
    The missing link in my experience is that kids actually want, and respect boundaries. In the short term they may play the game with the staff who give them what they want; in the long term they respect those who give them what they need.
    There are popular teachers who have the balance right but there are also those who cause more harm than good.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

'Like' is a bit too general I think.
    Important qualities in a teacher are:
    - respect
    - trust
    - relatability
    - ability to be fair, organised, etc, etc...

'Like' implies the teachers buddying up with their students.

Students and their parents want to know the teacher is passionate about their subject, wants the best for the class and cares about them. THEN they'll like them. Not because they're a sad 'Bad Education' style teacher-goofball.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

IMO likability is important and does impact teacher effectiveness, but it isn't a top 3 quality.

Is that true? Above his desk? That's a scary step change if so, unashamedly bringing an unworkable management culture into the light. Not cool.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I think maybe more important is not to be actively disliked by children and I think respect is the key. I remember really liking a French teacher I had and thinking he was a much nicer person than the Spanish teacher I had. He wasn't as good at teaching though.

mothergoose2013 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

Depends on what creates likeability?

Ancient Greeks saw 3 graces - Kudos (talent, outcomes), Kharis (Charisma), and Kalios (good looking) - as signs of divine favour; and an indicator you should be followed.

I don't think Kharis is something that can appeal to all the student body. Every personality trait will be magnetic and repellant to different students.
    But Kudos - subject knowledge and a visible sense that they are working to the best interests of the student may well found a 'likeable' teacher; yet a million miles from the populist non-enforcer of the rules type.