1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is likeability an important quality for a teacher?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

it's an important quality, but in my experience it's not top of the list.
    I would reckon subject knowledge, organisation, the ability to communicate, the ability to know whether you've communicated and the skills to persuade others to engage all outrank likeability. I reckon several others of you will think of other skills I've missed.
    Obviously there's a need to avoid the dislikeability some folk have that would rule them out of teaching no matter what their other skills.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Several times this topic has been discussed over the years and like phlogiston I agree it's important to some degree, but it certainly isn't an essential or 'top of the list' priority in my opinion. Effectiveness in the job to procure pupil/ student success is much more important and actually I have known teachers who have achieved that, even whist being actively hated by students. Sort of ,"I'll show you what I can do - despite you, " type mentality. ;)

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You're better with it than without it.

6. maggie m

maggie m Established commenter

Not top of my list though it helps if the students don't actively dislike you some degree of respect is more important. SLT have started asking how the class rate their teachers on a scale of 1 -10 as part of observations. 1 being vile old bat , 10 being best thing since sliced bread. I understand my year 10 class ( pleasant, hard working) rated me highly, bottom set year 9 (lazy, rude, disruptive) aren't so jmpressed. It probably correlates with number of detentions and phone calls home.

7. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Ridiculous.

Even though I have met some teachers who don’t like the young people they are working with and have been generally pretty obnoxious, this popularity contest as part of an obs is beyond belief.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It has really helped me over the years

9. R13

R13 New commenter

I agree with the Maggie m who says it is a quality of importance but wouldn't rank it as high as respect. However I do think it is more important for those working with difficult to reach students

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

How well the headteacher likes a teacher can have a big effect on their jobs I'm sure

11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Of course you have to be liked!

It is a sure way to keep SLT on your side and Competency at bay

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

a teacher who is universally liked can't be being good teacher

13. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Its nice if they like you but remember you are not their friend.

14. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 New commenter

Agree with meggyd - respect above everything. Even for the youngest, you're not their friend but you are there to help them understand how to be a friend to others.

15. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Why does everything - in some schools - have to be measured and given a numeric score?

Rhetorical question.

Leaders who lack originality, any level of people skill and are genuinely clueless about motivating their teams.

16. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Personally I would have got the union in to try to put a stop to this. Teaching is not. Nor should it be, a popularity contest. You will have teachers "bribing" the kids for a "good" grade it is inevitable.

Remember the recent scientific study that showed students rated the teaching better if there were biscuits (teacher and lessons identical in all other ways) ?

stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

My line manager has above his desk

"You cannot manage what you cannot measure"

Result? He tries to measure everything in order to "manage" it, doesn't matter if the the being measured is irrelevant or the method scientifically invalid or even the stats being insignificant.

He will go far...

(Why is it that the teachers that understand data rarely get high in SLT whereas those that don't flourish?)

18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I'm guessing he never read the book that it came from. Where Deming actually says...
    "It is wrong to suppose that if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it – a costly myth."

It may be worth dropping a copy of one of his books on his desk so he can see what the sever deadly diseases of management are

19. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

You need to counter this idea. Could the data be analysed to show pupil bias in terms of teacher age/ sex/ ethnicity?

stonerose likes this.
  20. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

While I have no doubt that likeability does have a positive impact on students, 'trying to get the class to like you' often has the opposite effect. For a new teacher in particular (who is probably more likely to be influenced by the advice of experts) it can be hard to understand the difference.