1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is life really real?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 16, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Musing today and realised that although i breathe and live I just seem to be outside of the 'exciting. Its as if your life is running on its own rails and what other folks do is a world away.
    No its not a depression thread.just an observation that the normal boring mundane seems to unshared by the declared exciting life of some tabloids writing about people.
    Maybe I need to get a young person to take me by the hand and show me these exciting things they are supposed to do_Or would i just be a sceptic anyway lol
    Oh well back to sewing.

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Exciting isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    You spend too much time lamenting the reality of your life.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You can't have exciting all the time @oldsomeman ! It would be too exhausting! The normal and mundane is what makes the other bits exciting.

You can find exciting in lots of ways that wouldn't seem it to begin with. A journey to somewhere different, joining a club you've never tried before, going to see a show or a concert etc, etc.

4. oldsomeman

Give over coffeekid.I am lamenting the life of others...maybe their excitement is not what turns me on.
    I can think of better things in life which i can occasionally enjoy.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't think many people have a consistently exciting life. I have had more exciting periods in my life but for me it comes along with stressful, exhausting and unsustainable.
    I am currently happier than I have ever been because I enjoy and appreciate my life as it is.

ilovesooty and RedQuilt like this.
  6. oldsomeman

I find the word enjoy foxtail is better than exciting for a lot of things i do...or even love in some cases.....like standing in a mountain top alone enjoying the quiet and view, or the sunset in all its glory. or time spent with my grand-kids..such as my grand daughter who wants to help me in the sewing room , and then teaching them skills.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They are not having exciting lives, or even exciting moments in their lives - they are merely pretending to because they believe everyone else is.

There is a Chinese curse "may you live in exciting times". Really, nobody wants to do that.

Noja and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Mm, ok...

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I have never known a person who laments ageing quite as much as you do Oldie. What do you feel you missed out on? What on earth makes you think that everybody else is having an exciting time? Why would you want to be part of a young person's world? I think it would be hell - all that angst.
    Most people's lives are mundane and normal. Mine is and that's how I like it.
    There are many things I haven't achieved, and probably never will, but rather than think about them with envy or regret I enjoy what I have: a loving family and friends and a wonderfully calm life in a beautiful place - and a decent pair of binoculars for bird watching!

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Of course life isn't real, or at least, not as you imagine it to be. You are just part of a reality TV programme where everyone but you are actors following scripts. One day the producer might choose to test your paranoia, the next day she'll be testing your faith in God.

They flog the programme about your life to a comedy channel in the US, you know. It's the latest version of Candid Camera.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Not depression?
    Have you ever read The Bell Jar? Your posts often remind me of it.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The whole image of an 'exciting' life seems to me to be a myth fostered by over-exposure to social media and youtube. It's perfectly possible to watch the lives of others slide past on instagram, the posts of Dan Blizzerian, youtube vids of skydiving, tower climbers, daredevils and surfers and feel that life is slipping you by.

But it's all a carefully constructed heap of turd.

kibosh and RedQuilt like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I thought this was a bit like the 'Matrix'. I sometimes feel that ....oh, you've seen the film. You know what I mean.

14. oldsomeman

dont get to carried away grumpy :)

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

"Exciting" seems to revolve around "new to me". As you get older there is less that is new to you. I find that even when I visit somewhere new or do something different it's not actually that new to me and usually pretty much as I expected in the first place.

Contentment - that's what we should aim for.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Sorry - the curse is 'may you live in interesting times'.....

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Life is what's inside your head. When I take my last breath I want to be satisfied that I didn't have too much rubbish in it.

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No. Seriously. I do sometimes wonder if I'm a character in a play or a chess-piece. As if real-life exists just out of reach. Obviously I'm not alone in that or films like 'Matrix' wouldn't exist!

19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Real life is what other people are too meek to change.

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I have had an 'exciting' week, olds, and I thought of you and lexus (and yer bikes) on occasion . . .which might sound bizarre. Let me explain. The weather has been fabulous. Scotland at its best. No midges, as it's been so dry for 7 weeks now!! Sunny every day. Beautifully atmospheric mornings while the ground mists clear (a photographer's paradise), the trees on the turn, warm enough to be out in t-shirt. Perfect biking weather, you guys would love it. . . .and for me, perfect to be out walking in quiet spots, with gorgeous views and silence in the air . . being able to stop for a while and watch mayfly's cavorting, heron's fishing.

grumpydogwoman likes this.