1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Leadership Pathways necessary?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by scarlet03, Nov 22, 2009.

1. I have had several middle management roles (secondary) and now feel the time is right to apply for Assistant Head posts. I intended to start looking early next year and, if I found the correct post, aim to move for September. My Headteacher and Senior Leadership team are very supportive and the school also partially funded my MA (Professional Studies in Education - leadership and management focus), but they say they feel I ought to apply for Leadership Pathways because some schools use it as a selection criteria. I graduated from my MA in Oct 08 and am feeling slightly jaded that I may have to start 'writing up' another study. (The last was 26,000 words and put me off for life!). Are they correct in saying that without Leadership Pathways I may be excluded from interview? I do feel it would be beneficial as any such training is - it focuses the mind and prompts the kind of constant self-analysis that is needed at a senior level, but having fairly recently returned from maternity leave I am hesitant to embark on anything like this if it will not benefit me any more than the MA did.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. I have had several middle management roles (secondary) and now feel the time is right to apply for Assistant Head posts. I intended to start looking early next year and, if I found the correct post, aim to move for September. My Headteacher and Senior Leadership team are very supportive and the school also partially funded my MA (Professional Studies in Education - leadership and management focus), but they say they feel I ought to apply for Leadership Pathways because some schools use it as a selection criteria. I graduated from my MA in Oct 08 and am feeling slightly jaded that I may have to start 'writing up' another study. (The last was 26,000 words and put me off for life!). Are they correct in saying that without Leadership Pathways I may be excluded from interview? I do feel it would be beneficial as any such training is - it focuses the mind and prompts the kind of constant self-analysis that is needed at a senior level, but having fairly recently returned from maternity leave I am hesitant to embark on anything like this if it will not benefit me any more than the MA did.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Some might. But I'd say the main argument for undertaking LP is that you won't really be able to progress much further than AHT without it.

4. So in a way I need to have done it to get on my NPQH at the next stage?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes. But remember they won't let you do NPQH nowadays until you're no more than 18 months from headship.

6. Hi
    I have just been on the NCSL website and read about a course titled 'Accelerate to Headship' which is described as being for people who intend to complete the NPQH within 4 / 5 years. Do you know if this is a new course? I was about to apply for 'Leadership Pathways' and am now unsure which would be best?

7. I have just been appointed as an assistant headteacher. I am currently undertaking the leadership pathways course and found it invaluable in developing my understanding of leadership. Please don't be put off by writing up as this course requires virtually no written element. Just 6 coaching sessions, 3 core meeting days, 4 online units(minimal writing - just reflection) 2 skills days and a whole school project that is fed back as a presentation all spread over the year.
    Best CPD I have ever undertaken, even just to be able to network with those in the same position as you and in AHT positions. My new school is supporting me in completing this as they hold it in such high regard.
    on the whole lots of positives and not many negatives :)