1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Johnson allergic to water?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Feb 18, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

He doesn't seem to want to visit flooded areas and see for himself, speak to people.

Yes, I know it's probably pointless in dealing with the big problem. But he got roundly criticised for taking ages to visit the last time there were floods - you'd have thought he'd have been there this time, just to show willing - gives an impression he might actually care.

Remembering how May was pilloried for not going to Grenfell the day after the fire.....

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I read that he may be scared he will be booed, mocked and made fun of. No fridges to hide in near a flooded river.

mothorchid and Ivartheboneless like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

maybe he is soluable?

Kandahar likes this.
  4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

What would be the point in him or any other politician visiting? It's something I've never understood, media visits. Just like during the run up to an election where folks go, for example, to an infant school, sit on tiny chairs, paint or stick paper while holding a conversation with a child who hasn't got a clue what's going on.

If my home had been devastated, the last thing I'd want would be the media accompanying someone I've never met discussing a disaster.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

On the one hand, I agree with you. I wouldn't want it either. But I think it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

smilingisgoodforyou likes this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

You're not wrong there!!

Ivartheboneless and chelsea2 like this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I'm sure that Harry&co could fly in from Canada.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

:D Only just realised what I did!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

It doesn't need to be Boris. Anyone in the Cabinet would do. But this crisis is going to cost and the budget is due.

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Things are looking up at last.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

British citizens stranded on cruise ship with Coronavirus needing evacuation flight.
    Severe flooding wrecking homes and livelihoods.
    Downing Street adviser sacked for holding extremist views.
    Chancellor of the Exchequer resigns over interference with his advisory team.

Our PM's response? Borexit.

jellycowfish and ajrowing like this.
  14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Well the chancellor of the exchequer looks reliable. I think the education and defence secretaries need to swap roles. I do have my doubts about that transport secretary though.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

At least they can all go "dogging" together.

primarycat likes this.
  16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Being such a slippery and greased up individual Boris is probably just hydrophobic.

17. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

He doesn't have to visit anyone or give a damn for another 4.5 years until he starts electioneering again.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It would be more important if we knew what he intends to do to help and what action is being taken rather than going there. What the folks of areas need is consideration and help to sort out the mess.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  19. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

maybe there is something actually wrong with him

20. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If he goes, the media and security entourage will remove people from doing the work. That loss won't be seen and won't be publicised.
    If he doesn't go, and doesn't show the flag, he'll be criticised for that.
    In terms of getting things done, he's better in Downing St / Whitehall getting reports from the experts on the ground. However that won't be seen and credited because it's behind closed doors. And however much or little is done, there will be criticism that Town A got a better response than Town B, and Town A will criticise that its needs were met too little and too late.
    I seriously don't want his job. It makes Year 10 bottom set on a windy, rainy Friday afternoon look like a walk in the park!

border_walker likes this.