1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is John Humphrys right?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Oct 17, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Unless we take measures to greatly curb transmission, we will see many, many knock on effects that are worse than what we are doing.

UK excess deaths 65000

NZ deaths from Covid: 25

3. red_observer

Like what though ? With respect to you and you know I do... like what?

4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

and that includes 3 sheep and a hobbit

JL48 likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Well, if I saw those figures, the first question I'd have would be "Wow, what did they do?"

6. red_observer

I agree New Zealand is a good model

JL48 likes this.
  7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

But a completely different situation to the UK.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Yes. They only have 120 seats to fill in their parliament. We have to find some 650 utter to$$pots before our parliament can sit and the silliest thing about that is there is that there ain't enough seats in the Commons for them to sit on anyway. It wouldn't be so bad if they allowed those of our politicians who can't find a seat when important debates are taking place, bring those folding camping chairs to work with them, but no. That would be far too sensible, wouldn't it?

9. install

install Star commenter

In answer to the thread title- he is wrong.Fear is not driving anything. Many people are in fact very casual in their approach to the virus. As indeed our leaders have been - along with their advisors.

We merely follow whatever Scotland does now. They decide what to do and weeks later we follow. It isn’t fear - its the opposite: complacency.

10. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

like the thousands left incapacitated and disabled, unable to work, unable to live their lives, likely to be reliant on state aid for ever,

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Their population is 5 million. Their pop density is 18 to our 281 (per km). We have a major global travel and business hub.

You really think there's a comparison?

12. red_observer

That’s not answering the question though...

13. red_observer

What’s their death rate as a percentage to ours?

14. Scintillant

Yes.

Other, more populous countries are available, also with very low numbers of deaths.

NZ also hugely outperformed Sweden, which has 25 people per km, so very, very similar.

15. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

The Humphrys' article is an example of limited thinking, simplifying a very complex issue. There are about 12 million people over the age of 65 in the UK. In addition, there are large numbers of people who are particularly vulnerable because of medical conditions. 28% of the adult population is obese, putting them at extra risk , not to mention people with darker skins being at higher risk. So we would have millions of people who would have to be isolated , and not only in care homes but in hospitals. They would all need shopping delivered to them. Many of them live with younger people, sharing toilets, bathrooms and living rooms. They would have to be banned from public transport and from having personal interaction with younger people. It just wouldn't be practicable.

16. red_observer

Good balanced counter reply thank you

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is it because I'm a Northern Irish, Protestant, Unionist, retired, White, straight, misogynistic male?

18. red_observer

??

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It must be the clique denying any prominence to my posts on covid.

20. red_observer

I’m not sure what you mean!