1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is jelly healthy?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Dudess, Mar 14, 2009.

1. And if it isn't, how can I make it healthy? Apart from adding fruit!

2. And if it isn't, how can I make it healthy? Apart from adding fruit!

3. Well, jelly is a mix of sugar, fruit flavour and protein in the form of gelatine. Gelatine, however, is not a very high quality protein as it contains very few amino acids and no essential amno acids. This means gelatine has little dietary value as the amino acids it does contain are freely available in any other meat or dairy products so we are HIGHLY unlikely to ever be short of those.
    To make it healthy either use sugar free jelly and add lots of fruit (NEVER fresh pineapple or kiwi. They contain powerful enzymes that stop the jelly from setting. Go on, try it, it will NEVER set. Tinned pineapple or kiwi is ok as it is partially cooked and this destroys the enzyme) or make your own jelly with gelatine and fruit juice. LOADS of fresh jelly recipes if you google it.
    Enjoy!

4. Thanks alter, I will try a few recipes as I need an alternative pud to profiteroles! I once tried making vodka jelly with lemonade (I'd been heavy with the vodka) and that never set either.

5. my mum used to set it with milk not water it comes out 2 layers and put a can of broken mandarins in too- 1960s cheap and cheerful.

6. I still make jelly and mandarins for pudding! I experimented as a student and managed to get vodka jelly to set with 3/4 vodka and 1/4 water. It was lethal stuff.

7. <h4>Blackberry jelly with whole blackberries in is divine...
    </h4>

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Gelatine makes your nails strong.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

My mum had beautiful nails and she swore by eating cubes of raw jelly. The secret of a good jelly is not to set it too hard. Lovely.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

In any case, what do you mean by healthy?

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The health issue arises due to the sugar content and any additives. You can buy sugar free but that will be full of chemicals. I used to love stewed apple set in lime jelly!

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

This is a very old thread...

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

How odd. The OP was up there today, even though I'm supposedly the first person to post on it since 2008!

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

But you're right, lilac. Well spotted.

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I think you must have somehow been on the very first page of threads, inky.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I spotted it as OP refers to my old user name........

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whoops.