1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Jacob Rees Mogg able to debate without sneering?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was listening to him in tonight's HoC debate and I listened to him earlier in the LBC phone in programme when he was dismissive of a consultant neurologist's concerns about the impact that a no deal Brexit would have on the NHS.

I can only imagine he survived being beaten up in the school playground, by being the swot who had to do everyone else's homework for them.

I don't know how many black eyes he's been given over the years but you'd have thought that by now he'd have realised that if he only stopped sneering at everyone, he wouldn't need the protection of spectacles.

It's beyond me how he could ever attract ordinary people to vote for him, let alone people worthy of respect, when he appears to have such utter contempt for them.

MAGAorMIGA, TCSC47, ms honey and 4 others like this.
  2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Now lying back looking like it's all a big waste of his time.

TCSC47, bajan and smoothnewt like this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I hate that he's somehow got to be important,to the point of being sent to Aberdeen to see the Queen and making speeches.
    I love the fact the Ken Clarke just congratulated the Leader of the House Jacob Rees-Mogg for "keeping a straight face" while he is making "incredible" arguments.

suzuki1690, TCSC47, ms honey and 3 others like this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yesterday’s LBC interview in which he attacked the NHS neurologist was jaw- droppingly rude. I’d never heard anything quite so appalling on air.

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I wish you "potted plants" would stop picking on the Honourable Member for the 18th Century.

cissy3 and thyr like this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It was apparently the tipping point in persuading Philip Lee to defect today.

TCSC47 and smoothnewt like this.
  8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yes, I heard him state that on Sky News earlier. Good on him!

9. thyr

thyr Occasional commenter

I'm not sure he can do anything without sneering. He seems to look down on anyone who isn't as "educated" as he is.

TCSC47 likes this.
  10. monicabilongame

Christopher Hope from the Telegraph:

"One Conservative rebel tells me as many as 20 Tory MPs have rebelled.

“Jacob Rees-Mogg was a great recruiting sergeant,” the MP told me."

11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I love the way that people who have no medical training think they can tell medics what's best. Just as a woman without a PCGE runs an organisation that think it has the right to judge teachers.

TCSC47 and phlogiston like this.
  12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

The answer to the OP is 'Of course not'. Like Pooh-Bah, the gentleman in question was born sneering.

And I am right, I think you'll say,
    To argue in this kind of way;
    And he is Right,
    And they are Right,
    And all is Right—too-looral-lay!

How splendid of Jacob and Boris et al to show the world that they have cojones.
    And even more splendid of Hammond et al to chop them off.

nizebaby, ilovesooty, TCSC47 and 3 others like this.
  13. monicabilongame

aypi, cissy3, TCSC47 and 4 others like this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But that, surely, is the question that needs to be answered. He has a substantial majority in his constituency which has been going up in every successive election. The demographics of the constituency indicate that it is not dominated by retired people, but by professionals with an average age of 40. Most are white English and a significant proportion claim to be Christian, very few Muslim or of other religion.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Is it too soon to suggest there seems to be something of a rebellion against the entitlement of the posh boys?

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If they're Tory voters they only have the candidate that's been picked by a combination of the constituency party and central office. This is also true for all the other parties.

Mangleworzle, chelsea2 and phatsals like this.
  17. florian gassmann

Of course, but if they don't want him as their MP they are free to vote for a different party. As I said, the number voting for Rees-Mogg has increased in each of the last three elections, so they are clearly not unhappy with him as their MP.

nomad likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

Their "entitlement" is being voted into parliament by their constituents.

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The radio interview.

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Except that's the opposite way to what actually happens isn't it?

Many vote for a party irrespective of the candidate rather than the candidate irrespective of the party which I suspect happens to a vanishingly small degree. The major parties have their safe seats which they can give to their preferred incumbent if it becomes vacant for some reason. Surprised you don't know this.

No, you have misunderstood.