1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it wrong to put on a 'show' when you are teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lumpty, May 28, 2011.

1. I've just got to comment on this subject. I have recently had an interview for a foundation manager role, that as expected I had to carry out a lesson and an interview to follow. I was unsucessful in the end and my feedback stated that my interview had been perfect, but in my lesson I put on too much of a 'show' for the children. The lesson I was asked to do was a 15 minute circle time session, that I used a puppet for, this I thought would be common practice for teaching an F2 class? But the head stated that perhaps I wasn't as tuned into their methods as my teaching style was just too different to theirs and although the children loved the lesson, because it was too much of a 'show' it just didn't match their teaching methods. I came away from the interview feeling a bit confused. Every course Ive been on has encouraged teaching young children in this way. The teacher that won 'Inspirational teacher of the year' award on the TV pretended to be from Avatar and her teaching was classed as oustanding, so why was it so wrong for me to put on a 'show' to get the children interested?!
    I'm so sorry if this is boring people and if I sound bitter because I wasn't sucessful enough to get the job, but I am so passionate about creativity in teaching that I need to hear other peoples view on this subject.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I teach in a certain way that sometimes others don't 'get'. The head has made comments to me before that I am too jokey with the children. I told them that it is my way of teaching and it was left at that. I don't think the head pushed it because my class makes good progress and they enjoy their time in school. Everyone is different, I can't stand the idea that we should all tick the same boxes and teach the same way.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds a bit like the standard 'your face just didn't fit, but we can't really say that' kind of feedback.

I was told recently, in the exact same situation but different year group, that I didn't put on enough of a show!

Basically you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

4. I'd probably breathe a sigh of relief that you weren't offered a job in a school which clearly wouldn't accomodate your preferred way of teaching young children. I certainly would have done something similar to you and love being animated, as I feel it really helps to engage all children, but if your style didn't fit their school then it's probably best in the long run as you may not have been 100% happy there.
    Good luck with your search :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've used puppets plenty of time in circle time. We've had to do conflict resolution between Mr. Fox and Miss Hedgehog who had some issues at playtime. The children in KS1 loved giving them advice.
    Of course, Mr.Fox had a bandage on his tail after being shot in Fantastic Mr. Fox.
    Count yourself lucky you didn't get the job.

6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

I'd say that it wasn't. It sounds like a great idea. Using puppets to teach a lesson to young children sounds like something they should have praised you for, not criticised.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've been thinking about this overnight (yes, yes I'm a bit sad and geeky I know!) and maybe then felt it was a show by you that the children simply watched. Rather than a lesson where the children were active participants?

I don't know, I wasn't there, but it is possible that that is what they meant.

8. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Don't let anyone knock your passion for creativity in teaching. All
    teachers are different, some will just feel uncomfortable with your
    approach. Take heart from the other replies you've got, and if you get any negative ones, well, there's room for other styles.
    Possibly best you didn't get the job in that school if they do have a completely different approach. Wait until you find a school that does work like you do (or until you can lead one in your direction).
    I've been in teaching for over 25 years and my style has changed as I've met and worked with other teachers. Listen to what other teachers say, then decide whether there is anything you can learn from them..
    But keep the 'passion' for however you decide to work.You won't go far wrong and neither will the children in you classes.

9. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Poor you. I think it sounded great. Keep using puppets. I use them in KS1. You have perhaps had a lucky escape from a job where you wouldn't have fit in and your creativity would have been stifled.

10. Thank you for you so much for thinking about it! I'd understand if it had been that way, but all the children were actively involved and speaking and listening was a huge part of the lesson. I think thats why Ive been so miffed about it all. Ive had observations from Ofsted before with outstanding elements, by using a similar technique?! Thanks again for your comment!

11. Thank you! You've said something similar to my current Head, the worrying thing is, this was an outstanding school -although they didnt get outstanding in teaching and learning on their ofsted report- which is probably why?!

12. Yep I think that was the case! Although advert was for a Foundation leader, they ended up choosing an NQT?! So maybe they just want a teacher they can 'mould' into their style of teaching!

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

or someone cheap [​IMG]

14. I can't describe how much these post's have cheered me up! Thank you so much everyone, I just felt that everything I had been doing for the past 6 years was completely wrong, but all the posts have given me back my faith! The School in question did however say that the children thoroughly enjoyed my lesson!! So it makes me wonder who they were actually thinking about, the staff or the children?!!!

15. Good point!

16. I'm so glad people have the same view as me! I completely understand that if you are just enteraining children and not teaching them- then this would be a problem! But I made sure that my learning objectives/ learning outcome for the children would definately be met when I planned the lesson, as I knew this would be a straight away criticism by the observers if I didn't. I do think it's exactly what everyone has been saying 'my face just didn't fit' and at the moment I am in a school that completely supports me being 'me,' so maybe its just that Im meant to stay there a bit longer with the staff and children that appreciate my 'creative ways!'
    Thanks again everyone for your comments!

17. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh yes it sounds like a miserable school you applied to, and you are very lucky you didn't get the job. The "we don't do it like this round here" attitude is so narrow and squashing in all areas of life. It's very sad to think that this approach is being used in school with staff and / or children. It's a rather broader issue than whether or not to use puppets. It's a horribly narrow mindset. I don't know when that school got its outstanding but those words from the head are not the ones you might expect from a school with outstanding leadership. Grrrrrrrrr.
    Enjoy your current school, it sounds a million miles better whatever OFSTED thought on the day.

18. rrickarr

rrickarr New commenter

In his book, <u>Learning Teaching</u>, Jim Scrivener also cautions against putting on a show in the classroom yet he fails to tell us what he considers a show!!! It isprobably also helpful to remember that a lot of administrators seem to have forgotten anything about what it is actually like to be in a classroom. One cannot evaluate a teacher properly by observing the odd lesson here and there--the observer has no experience of the historical progress of a particular class, or the personal struggles and progresses of the students
    All of this reminds me of an Anglican Bishop who gave a very rivetting sermon using a puppet and a huge di made of paper. Would one say that he was putting on a show?

19. Sounds like the school I used to work for (and if it was, you're lucky you didn't get the job!). It can be really frustrating working in a school where you and the Head don't see eye to eye on fundamental and good teaching practice.

20. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Also it's such an arbitrary reason not to employ someone. It could be that the person they did employ who just did some kind of run of the mill thing at the interview turns up on the first day of September with their Punch and Judy theatre, one man band equipment, and a performing monkey.