1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth training to be HLTA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Rabbity, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Mentorist, I completed my authority's Learning Mentor training as it existed some years ago - at that time it was just a five day course then completion of a portfolio to be sent in for assessment. However, they did contact me about 2 years ago, offering either an NVQ or a Foundation degree which would be funded by them. I gave it serious consideration but just felt I couldn't take on the extra work at that stage (would have done the FD rather than an NVQ, given my experience.) I slightly regret it now as I do suspect that you are quite correct - it probably is appropriate for Mentors to have a more 'formal' qualification - but a bit of a bind if people are going to be forced to do it to keep their jobs!

2. Mentorist - some of the jobs I've seen have been equal to level 3 TA pay, others have been more generous then HLTA (in neighbouring authorities). The work they do really merits the higher pay but up to heads (and some heads always try to snip money corners!

3. Curly - I know, I'm a learning mentor!!

When I first heard of single status I did some research I found job adverts for full time (37 hours tto) mentors ranging from about £12000 to £23000 pa depending on which authority you are lucky enough to live in (and those figures are after pro rata deductions but before tax).

Ophelia - if they make existing mentors do training then it could mean the end for me. I've done 7 years of university including a PGCE, plus the NQT year and I really cannot face the thought of compiling yet another folder full of evidence that nobody is going to look at to prove I am ok at my job. If a PGCE isn't good enough then thats me out the door. When I first became a mentor my school at the time had employed their first mentors a year before me, they did the same 5 day training as you but they said it was a load of rubbish and largely irrelevant so the school didn't bother asking me to do it!! The new foundation degree looks to me like it could be worthwhile though and at least it is a actual proper qualification which will be recognised in other occupations for its transferable skills rather than just a status that nobody in or out of school seems to fully understand!!

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Totally agree about that 5 days training! It was obviously aimed at people who had come into the role with no experience of education at all - it explained things like the literacy and numeracy hours! As for the portfolio - what a time-wasting, paper-gathering activity that was! I can't imagine that they actually will insist on people getting the qualification if they are already in a job - they haven't enforced the supposed requirement for qualification on TAs as yet so can't see it happening to mentors either. I know lots of people find doing a Foundation Degree very fulfilling but I'm afraid it doesn't appeal to me much - think I've already spent too long in education already!

5. In my primary school we have about 20 TA's and only one has the HLTA status. She does not get paid at different rate than the rest of us which means that no one else is considering doing it. What will happen when (and if) the new grading system comes into effect is anyone's guess. The HT is not a fan of the HLTA status and prefers instead to use exisiting TA's and pay them at absolutely appalling rates.

6. berrypie,

If someone is able to satisfy the standards for HLTA, by the 3 day route, it must mean that they are already working at that standard and so 'doing' an HLTA job. They would then have grounds for asking for a pay review. If the school won't pay them the rate for the job they are doing, then ideally, they should refuse to carry out 'HLTA' duties.

That's easier said than done, I know, but why should 'ordinary' TAs have higher level duties dumped on them without the monetary recognition to go with them?

7. Sorry, train of thought got a bit cut off there!

ALSO, Why should TAs with HLTA status be made to perform that role for no extra money...

8. Apparently there is no money in the kitty to pay the higher rate and the school are looking at redundancies for TA's in the near future - falling rolls and all that! So if you make a fuss looks like you might be first to go!