1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is it worth the extra £100 to join NAHT?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mrstodd, Sep 2, 2011.

1. I am a new deputy head looking at union membership. The NAHT is charging £264 a year, compared to the NUT who charges £166. The NAHT offers people on the leadership scale their 'Headway' monthly publication and I can't see any other difference. Is this worth the extra £100 a year or is there something I'm missing? Up until this point I've not been in a union but think that the time has come now that my responsibilities are so much greater and the politics of teaching affects what I do, and how my colleagues and pupils are affected, on a greater scale. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

2. I am a new deputy head looking at union membership. The NAHT is charging £264 a year, compared to the NUT who charges £166. The NAHT offers people on the leadership scale their 'Headway' monthly publication and I can't see any other difference. Is this worth the extra £100 a year or is there something I'm missing? Up until this point I've not been in a union but think that the time has come now that my responsibilities are so much greater and the politics of teaching affects what I do, and how my colleagues and pupils are affected, on a greater scale. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

3. Has to be a political choice I think. Maybe look at constitutions? Some have a very Teacher focused agenda and are quite anti leadership. I have found the NAHT an invaluable service as a Head and Deputy for serious issues and day to day advice.

4. Thanks for that. To be honest I've done 12 years without being in a union and I'm only thinking of joining on out of 'fear' that if I don't 'something bad' might happen. So I think I'll go for the cheaper one. Would be grateful for anyone shooting me down at this point and giving me good reasons to choose a particular one...

5. You might wish to bear in mind what might happen if you find yourself the target of a grievance by a member of staff who is also an NUT member. Being in NAHT offers you a clear distinction between yourself as a leader and your staff.
    Furthermore, in view of the changes to budgets, pensions and LAs, you may find it better to be a member of a union focussed on the school leader's view of these issues.
    £100 over 12 months = £8.33 per month.

6. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

And regardless of which one you pick - don't forget you can claim tax relief on professional fees!