1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth sending a speculative application?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by evalooda82, Sep 17, 2020.

?

Is it worth sending a speculative application?

Poll closed Sep 24, 2020.
  1. Yes- it can't hurt.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No- if they had a job, they'd advertise it.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. evalooda82

evalooda82 New commenter

I have been teaching for 12 years but, since moving to a rural area, there are (unsurprisingly) fewer job opportunities. Having completed a year's maternity cover, I'm now tutoring and freelance writing while I wait for jobs to come up.

Is it worth sending a speculative application to the schools I would like to work at locally, even if there are no jobs currently advertised?

Proactive, or pointless? Has anyone ever got a job this way?

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

If it's a harder subject to recruit and you want to work a small amount, you might be lucky. I've managed to get one day a week teaching music twice without seeing an advertised post, though both times through contacts who knew I was looking and heard of a school with a gap.

For a full time post I think most schools would advertise, though for a small amount of hours they might try to cover it internally rather than recruit.

In previous threads on this subject, people tend towards saying it's rare to get something from a speculative application. But there's occasionally one or two who say they've found something that way, so you have nothing to lose.

Piranha and evalooda82 like this.
  3. evalooda82

evalooda82 New commenter

Thanks, Muso, that's helpful.

I teach English so there's often gaps here and there in department timetables. I'm open to part time so I'll give it a go- as you say, I have nothing to lose! Thanks again.

4. Magra139jo

Magra139jo New commenter

I have applied for Nursery jobs as a qualified teaching assistant this way. If they don't have any jobs they often keep your CV on file, and ring you when they do have a job. I have always applied for teaching assistant jobs if they have a vacancy. You could try agency work, which I do which is very flexible.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Pointless. I wouldn’t bother. I would set up job alerts. I would also consider options in terms of commute- how far would you be willing to travel? I have a teacher friend who lives in a rural part of Cornwall and travelled 45 miles each way to Exeter for work. It can be tiring and the wear and tear on your car would be excessive, but it’s whether you think it’s worth it. Personally, 25-30 miles is the limit for me, anything further then considering relocating, you would have no personal life as such.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

You could always drop your local schools an email to see if they have any supply teaching opportunities, and maybe try and get in that way. I’ve recruited a couple of teachers before who was initially supply cover.

Piranha likes this.