1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth joining a tuition franchise...does anyone make a decent amount of money

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by hairdo, Oct 6, 2017.

1. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

Just curious. The initial outlay of franchises such a K and KMc seem huge. Does anyone actually make any money out of running a tuition centre as opposed to tutoring in the home?

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

When I lived in NZ I knew a very nice ex Principal who had given up all the back-biting he hated in school to run two franchises, from which he seemed to be doing well.

Now, in those days, in NZ, there didn't seem to be vast numbers offering their services as private tutors, so maybe this had something to do with it; he was providing a service that was genuinely needed. However, in the present day UK, there do still seem to be an awful lot of parents who like tuition centres. It's a very stupid decision since if you take into account students being tutored in groups of at least 3 then private individual tuition is usually far better value, but these educational brothels do seem to bring in the punters.

So, becoming the madam of such a centre, in the right area can be quite profitable. But do note right area. As the world's best selling book says: cast not your pearls before swine. Choose somewhere where the parents don't value education (and there are lots of such places) and you will lose a lot of money.

Piranha likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I don't think I would want to. Once you start running a centre, you become responsible for all sorts of stuff, whereas as a tutor, you are just reponsible for your own teaching. One to one tutoring can be very rewarding and I have never found it stressful - I doubt if I would say the same about running a centre.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

From what I can see, the likes of K are just a load of worksheets. If anyone knows any different, feel free to set me straight. That, to me, is not teaching so it wouldn't interest me.

amethyst303 likes this.
  5. rec4

rec4 New commenter

I've just signed up to myqualifiedteacher.co.uk I'll be teaching through PowerPoint online, real teaching, pay is good too.

6. amethyst303

amethyst303 New commenter

I do a few hours a month for someone who runs a franchise (neither of the ones mentioned). She actually mentioned this week that quite a bit of money goes on management fees. I don't know what sort of profit she makes but apparently it's not a huge amount. She said she wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone to take it up.
    I enjoy teaching for her as the pay is good and I don't need to register as self-employed, which suits me. She however, has quite a bit of responsibility and arranging to do.

7. amethyst303

amethyst303 New commenter

From what I've seen and heard, kids learn by rote and not for understanding.

8. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

that is what I meant. I have no interest in this kind of "teaching"

amethyst303 likes this.
  9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Senior commenter

I looked into K years ago. My niece had had some tutoring in maths from them and found it really helped. It seemed to me that there were too many limiting factors to make any real money - premises, other tutors, franchise fees etc - and the recruitment manager indicated that one of the greatest headaches was the parents, or at least some of them.

10. catbefriender

catbefriender New commenter

I've read some horrors stories of teachers losing their houses due to the exorbitant fees they had to pay out to a franchise that hasn't yet been mentioned. I'd avoid it.

11. cfmurphy

cfmurphy New commenter

Just been looking at the website for this - how are you finding it? Currently on supply but slow work is making me look elsewhere and online tutoring does sound interesting to me.

12. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

I think it's clear that this person has some stake in this website, and 4 of 5 posts they've made have been about this website. Take any response on this with a pinch of salt is my advice!

langteacher likes this.
  13. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

Do you have to use power point??