1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by ClaireB1234, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ClaireB1234

ClaireB1234 New commenter

I'm currently a student teacher and I'm spending another night crying my eyes out. I've failed an essay and didn't do very well in my first observation, but I've been told to "Keep going" and "Honestly it gets better, you have the qualities to be a great teacher it just takes time!" So my question is, how much time? How many agonising days wondering if I'm ever going to be good enough? I really like the pupils and I want to improve, but I just want to know if it is all worth it?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You're still very early on in your training.
    Take heart that you're being told that you have the right qualities to be a great teacher.

Very few teachers are excellent practitioners, even in their NQT year- most hone their skills over years. I trained over 40 years ago and in all that time only knew one teacher who was excellent the day they stepped through the door as a newly qualified teacher.

Just like our students, we make mistakes and then learn from those mistakes to make us better teachers. So one 'not very well' in your first observation may not indicate you're 'no good', just that you have a lot to learn. So take onboard any areas for improvement. Address those areas and hopefully you'll do better next time. Probably making 'mistakes' in another area. And so it goes on.

I know perhaps it's not fashionable to say so, but I reckon it probably takes 3-4 years to really hone one's skills and even then one constantly does so with each new cohort of children/ different school etc.

JL48 likes this.
  3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You have only had one observation?
    It does take time to get into the swing of teaching and being observed.
    You will feel a lot better when you act on advice and improve.

The big question, is it worth it? You will get different answers from the teachers you ask. Focus on the immediate now. Learn to teach. If you must ask the big question, pick a variety of teachers including those in their first and second years.

It is hard to start with. Chin up. You do get tougher...

If your Username is made up of your name you may want to change this to something anonymous.

The link below takes you to some advice about posting. It includes how to change your Username.

https://community.tes.com/threads/helpful-tips-for-posting-in-this-forum.726116/

JL48 likes this.
  4. ClaireB1234

ClaireB1234 New commenter

Thanks for the replies. It is a made up name, I probably could have been more creative with it! I'm feeling better now after my cry, I just hate not being where I want to be. I've been told good teachers are never perfect and always try to improve. I'm going to keep going in the hope that tomorrow is more positive!

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Your first year is always an emotional one. You feel every tiny success and failure as if it was life or death. Don't aim for perfection because there's too much going on at once in a classroom for it ever to happen! ;)

6. MelanieSLB

MelanieSLB New commenter

I nearly dropped out of the PGCE course about now when I did it. I was in a placement where I was not allowed to develop my own teaching style, and that really made me depressed. The second placement was much better, but after training in two different countries, and having been through quite a lot of schools, I can confirm it does take time to become a good teacher. Is it worth it? It depends if you really want to become a teacher or if you have another career available to you. The rewards of being a teacher are plenty, but the downsides and pressure are about as plentiful.