1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocolatesprinkles, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Hi dawnylou,
    I did the foundation degree and qualified as a teacher 6 years ago. I started supplying in my 'TA school' as soon as I'd qualified and luckily a job came up there after 3 months. 6 years on I'm still there and still love it!
    Although teaching positions are sought after, there are still lots out there! Your experiences as a TA will enhance your application as you will have lots of additional experience to draw on.
    I'd say go for it! Yes, the final year was tough (my hubby and son were counting down the days!!) But I've not regretted a single moment! :)

2. I am going into my 21st year. I have taught 600-700 children... I have loved every minute with the children. Being part of the team that helps a non reader or writer to take their first steps with confidence - helping the child who has been excluded from another school to feel part of my class and learn, with enthusiasm - it is the best job in the world. Apart from Ofsted. And the paperwork/accountability. But although I could retire now, I want to keep working - as long as I can make a positive impact on my pupils' learning. Go for it, and be aware there will be lots of jobs by 2015 when there is a rise in pupil numbers and oldies like me retire... Good luck!!

3. Thanks for the reply. The area I work in has had limited job vacancies come up in the past couple of years and it around 100 applicants are going for the one position. Scary!
    One of the student teachers at our school qualified and I bumped into him stacking shelves in asda.
    I think the idea of me finishing my TA job and not being in employment again worries me. Also the teachers I work with love their job and are brilliant but they dont get the praise and support they deserve from the powers that be! I think that puts me off a bit.
    Do you get suppport off your senior management?

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

We all have to take the chance and chose a new path for our lives,,,,,,,,otherwise we get stuck ina rut.If you have the opportuity to do a teaching course then do it.......the goverment is cutting back on these and there wil be less available soon.
    I have taught over 30 years and am now in retirement(almost) and i have to say i still adore teaching when i get the chance.Be brave and take the step...the certificate might be a gateway to other things......if not you can go back to a TA at worst........or forward to a new and rewarding career...depite all the modern hype and rubbish modern teaching is subjected to.
    Ps i entered teaching at 30 and never looked back .and 30 years ago there was shortage of jobs then.....so what new! lol

5. <font size="2">Hi Dawnylou, </font><font size="2">It's def worth it, if teaching is the career for you.[​IMG]</font><font size="2">I did not take the same route as you and instead done a 3 year BA, but throughout the 3 years was told how badly the application process had become and horror stories of '100 people applying for 1 job'.</font> <font size="2">In our 3rd year we had people who took your route join us. One of my now best mates took your route; she had the same fears as you-leaving a secure job for uncertainty. Her experience carried her through...she knows so much that can&rsquo;t be taught but instead, has to be learnt through experience. I'm sure school's realise this too-don&rsquo;t devalue yourself! </font>
    <font size="2">It is true that some people find it more difficult to find jobs after qualifying and it's also true that some end up in sales jobs. 7/10 of the brigders that joined our course got jobs before most of the people that took my route, but most of us (about 20/30) have since found jobs.</font> <font size="2">I was also talking to one of my new colleagues (also an NQT) and she has told me that most of the people who qualified on her PGCE course got jobs. For her, our school was roughly about her 10th interview. She got the job around Easter. For me our school was my second interview.</font>
    <font size="2">So I guess what I'm really saying is...</font> <font size="2">Don&rsquo;t let the horror stories get to you!</font>

<font size="2">Write the best 'Personal Statement', pass your skills test, start applying early and keep positive[​IMG]. </font> <font face="Calibri" size="3">Hope that helps! it's not all doom and gloom.</font>

6. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

I am not being a scaremonger here but: As you have said you live in an area where jobs are very hard to come by, I would definitely think carefully about your own situation. Where I live there are at least a couple of hundred applicants for every job going - short term, maternity covers etc. I qualified 5 years ago and have only just secured a permanent job for September - I have spent the last 4 years working in the same school, whilst applying for other jobs when (very few and far between, only 2 or 3 every year) they came up, in various temporary roles - maternity covers, part time, full time, just afternoons etc..More than half of the students I trained with have been unable to find permanent jobs.Finally, finally my perseverence has paid off but had I not had a husband with a good salary I could not have kept doing it with a mortgage and two children to support.
    All that said, it is the most wonderful job and I wish I had done it in my 20s and not my 40s!!! Only you know whether your current situation will allow you to keep hanging on as I did. Good luck if you decide to do it, I love it.

7. I don't think it's as bad as people say. I was lucky enough to get the job on my first interview, but everyone on my course got a job. I trained last year, talking to my mentor, who was part of the SLT, she said there would be tonnes of applications but many got thrown out because of poor spelling/grammar, school mistakes, not visiting the school or making any contact beforehand etc.

So echoing basically what everyone is saying if you want to do it don't let the job situation stop you. But you need to be motivated and enthusiastic towards the job.Check for jobs from Feb onwards, visit the schools, get help with your statement to make it the best you can be and I'm sure you'll find something!

8. Hi dawnylou,
    Just wanted to add something else! I asked my Head Teacher whether he'd consider keeping my TA job open for me (yep, totally cheeky I know!) and he agreed. Perhaps you could be cheeky and ask too??!!
    I was panicking that I'd not cope with the final year and wanted a little back up plan! As it turned out, I didn't need that back up plan, but it gave me peace of mind that I had another option should I need it!
    When he phoned me at the end of my final year to see if I was coming back to my TA position (I was on my final teaching block and whispering to him from the stock cupboard!); I made a decision on the spot that no, I was going to put my heart and soul into looking for a teaching position and do some supply in the meantime. I did ask him if he had any teaching vacancies coming up instead; to which he called me a cheeky begg.er and to come and see him in September! I've not looked back since and although he's not the Head anymore, I owe lots to him.
    As some others have said, I did have the luxury of an OH with a decent wage to fall back on and I'm aware that supply does seem to be dwindling since I was doing it 6 years ago. So totally understand your concerns over finances.
    But, I knew that I wouldn't have been happy staying as a TA and needed a new challenge. Support from SMT can be hit and miss (but isn't that the same in lots of companies?) but I work with a fantastic team and am so proud when I tell someone I'm a teacher. It really is the best job! :)