1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by canoequeen, Mar 9, 2011.

1. I should feel elated ,having been offered a place on a PGCE primary. I know lots of people out there would love to be in my position but I'm wondering what my chances in the workplace will be like at the end of it all and if it is worth the sacrifices. I have been fortunate to gain a full time permanent job in Cornwall but its in a sector that I thought I had escaped from and my heart just isn't in it. I have wanted to teach for years but now wonder if all the hard work will be worth it. With the announcement that there is no bursary this year, add to that the loss of earnings whilst doing the PGCE and proposals for longer working days, will they announce that school holidays will be abolished. Anybody have anything positive to say.

2. Where have you heard that there might be longer working days?
    These are all worries. Would you rather be in a job you hate or have the chance at a job you love? It's going to be hard work, but the job market generally isn't great right now, and we're all in the same boat, so that lessens any worries I have, as does the fact that I'm just really looking forward to having the best job in the world!

3. I'm in Cornwall too, have full time work but teaching is what I want to do. I agree with what the above person said if you're not happy and teaching is what you want to do then you've got to follow your heart!!! I too am very disappointed with the news about bursary but after waiting 2 years for this opportunity I am taking it up and living very basically for one year! Jobs do come up a lot in Cornwall (if that's where you want to stay) look at the council website there's always teaching jobs on there which is reassuring.

xxx

4. Thanks for the replies. Have come this far so just need to go the extra mile and reap the rewards.
    Heard about the longer working hours on this site - a proposal of Gove's, maybe just scaremongering. Anyway most of us work far longer hours in our non tewaching jobs and maybe its about schools being open longer for child care rather than teaching.

5. Hi,
    Where are you doing your PGCE. I'm going to Plymouth Marjons. I love it here in Cornwall & Devon and would really want to teach in the area.

6. I'm going to marjons too :) there is a group on facebook with about 10 of us in ready for sept come join! xxx
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_165762120142949&ap=1

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I love the idea that Gove doesn't already think most teachers work a 50+ hours-a-week anyway. He clearly hasn't spoken to any teachers recently. I'm a school by half 7 most days, leave close to 6pm, work through my lunch break and 2 hours at home every night, as well as running 3 clubs and having staff meetings. By my count that's at least 60 hours a week.
    But yes, it is worth it! I love my class, enjoy my job and feel grateful to have such an interesting, ever-changing job. Despite the paperwork.